1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cure for pixellation / "Noise" on Nebula DigiTV card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gab2001uk, Jun 13, 2003.

1. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This post is not a question, but information for users of the Nebula DigiTV card.

I recently moved my card to a HTPC in the process of construction, and was disappointed in the quality of the picture, which had been very good previously. Some channels were OK, others un-watchable with pixellation, bands of coplour and audio artefacts.

I emailed Nebula at midnight with a description of the problem

10 mins later (Do these guys sleep at night?) I was told the problem is due to the PSU interfering with the analogue components, and a modified card will be sent.

2 days later a new card with additional electrolytic capacitors and surface mounted resistors arrived, and the picture is perfect on all channels! The original card is on its way back to them.

The points to note are:

1) PSUs designed to be audibly quiet eg from QuietPC.com are not necessarily electrically quiet!
    2) Nebula's customer support is second to none.
    3) Other users with a less than perfect picture may be having the same problem

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I recently purchased this excellent card, and apart from a few bedding in problems, has been quite awesome in operation ever since. Even got student discount on it, probably the best £100 i've ever spent!

Just checked my card even though i haven't noticed any of the problems you describe, and can confirm that my card also has these caps on the back of the card, guess it's a problem they're already aware of and are changing on newer cards.

I agree that the support is excellent, i can't wait for them to release all the windows messages i need to control DigiTV from girder.

3. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nebula have just emailed to say all future cards will be sent out with this modification. They say about 10% of users are affected currently by noise.

looks as if they were already doing it if yours has the mod already.

4. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem as you describe and have also received the new card with extra bits on, but this has not cured it for me. Nebula are scratching their heads trying to work out a solution - any ideas anyone?

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    An electrically noisy PSU? Most interference problems i've read about in HTPC circles have been improved if not removed altogether with the installation of a newer/better PSU.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,179
    To be honest I replaced a QuietPC PSU for an enermax in the interests of lestening RF interference and I have to say it made no difference whatsover. I actually wish I'd kept the QuietPC one as it was quieter than the enermax.