Curb your enthusiasm

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Just finished watching season 4 of CYE. While there were a couple of weak episodes compared to other seasons, they are still finding original situations that are just incredibly funny. I've not known another show attempt and succeed at humour in such an odd and uncomfortable way.

Brilliant show - CYE Season 5 just started last Sunday on HBO (USA) and is available for your viewing pleasure from the usual outlets.. :thumbsup:

Oh my god, I have just finished watching Season 4. All the way through the last few episodes, and especially the hour-long finale (where Larry is starring in "The Producers" on Broadway) I had a constant strange feeling in my stomach and chest which was a mixture of laughter and fear at what may happen next!

As a Curb fan since the start I know that the plots in each episode are going to draw to some awful, horrible ironic conclusion yet it doesn't stop me watching from behind my fingers. The material that this show uses is seemingly beyond the pale and sometimes I was left breathless and incredulous at what LD was deriving comical situations from (at one point Larry says "Let's roll!" to a Rabbi whose brother died on 9/11, the Rabbi thinks this is wholly inappropriate but Larry reminds him that the Rabbi's brother died uptown after being hit by a motorcycle courier, so it "didn't really count as part of the tragedy").

If you are a Curb Your Enthusiasm fan, I suppose it is quite likely you have already watched this. Hope you enjoyed it as much as me - roll on Season 5!

:rotfl:

I love the episode in the 4th season when Larry is at Ben Stiller's birthday party and refuses to sing the happy birthday song!

When he was buying the dope off of Hurley from lost,that was good :D....was that the 4th season?:confused:

The episode where he buys dope (or "schwag" as it is called by the dealer) is indeed Season 4, Episode 6, "The Car Pool Lane".

The hooker he picks up insists he calls it "chronic"! :D

I love this show, and can see why Ricky Gervais looks up to Larry David.
I'm always rooting for Larry the character, he's a great guy (not a Fawlty/Patridge/Brent grotesque) who always brings up valid points, but kind of screws up most of the time.

Does anyone know if (the late) Anne Bancroft's cameo, was her last ever acting role?

Larry David the writer also brilliantly exposes the many absurdities and hypocrisies of modern American values, friendships, etiquette, sensibilities, consumerism, insincere customer service etc etc, and how, against that backdrop, their ridiculous political correctness just doesn't wash!

Great post krish72. Hit the nail on the head!

I root for Larry too, I love it when things go his way! (however rare that is!)

Yeah, there was some great episodes in season 4. Wandering bear, I mean, who would think of a plot line involving wearing a condom inside out and the unexpected result, genius :D

I also agree with the above, you know Larry has a valid point in obsurd situations, but you know he will slide into trouble with his frankness. Its great when he occasionally comes out on top.

I've noticed a trend with certain scenes where if Larry suspects someone is blatantly lying he will give them a certain look / glare. This has happened in other seasons, but seemed to happen each episode in season 4. Does anyone know if there is a story behind this look?

That "look" was used in episodes of seinfeld too.

klaus said:
That "look" was used in episodes of seinfeld too.

Thanks Klaus, you're right, I thought there was something familiar about it.

krish72 said:
The typo in the obituary for his "beloved aunt" is my favourite CYE bit - classic!

:D a great example of something not really being Larrys fault but taking all the flak!

Heads Up!! :lesson:

CYE Season 6 premières in the US on Sunday night :clap:
----> www.hbo.com/larrydavid

Some clips: www.hbo.com/scripts/video/vidplayer.html?section=cye

2007poster_640x480.jpg

Larry's appearance on David Letterman earlier this week to promote Season 6
[youtube]pl9akLLPDEQ[/youtube]
- Season 6 première's tonight in US :clap:
... and, no doubt, available tomorrow morning ;)

A few people reccomended this, and I'm hooked! I'm on Season 3 and its bloody great!

One thing I noticed, is how much Larry eats out :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom