Cultrul "Brain-Washing"?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by janmars, Sep 9, 2007.

1. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone else think that as a society we are constantly being brain washed by the never-ending stream of media, news, adverts, products and peer-pressure?

When you really sit and think about it, people do and believe the most ridiculous of things. How much of our money is spent on useless items? Why do products have such a short life-span? Why do people always have knee-jerk reactions to these subjects? There are at least three responses I am almost certain will be posted in reply to this.

At any rate, over the years I have thought about this somewhat and I really have to question why...so this is how I would put it... The Washing of Your Brain

2. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    "Cultrul"...haha :D

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

Sorry, but no, I don't think we are being brain-washed by the media. We're certainly being coerced into believeing that whatever the media say must be the truth, but sensible people know how to actually work out when something is true, half-true, or a complete outright lie!

As for whether children are being brain-washed by the media, then my answer would certainly be a resounding yes. They are led to believe, through their own innocence and nievity, that the media is always right, and that if you don't conform to what the media says and does, then you aren't worthy to be alive. The food industry, the fashion world, teen magazines, and celebrities, are all partly to blame for this, as well as the media at large.

What annoys me, though, is when government politicians say that students who do "Media Studies" courses are somehow studying on wasteful and useless courses! This isn't true at all. "Media" courses are not just about watching hours of TV or Film, and saying whether that programme or movie is good or bad. It's not about why one film works and another doesn't. It's actually about many other things, like:
    - codifications (what an advert or movie is trying to teach you, if anything at all)
    - identity
    - reading between the lines (does a violent film really mean to imply that violence is the only solution to a problem),
    - why the media isn't always honest and trustworthy
    - what does "truth" mean to you
    - media's culpability in society's ills
    - recognising right and wrong, good and bad in the media
    - deciphering what something says, and what it's trying to actually say (which may be very different things)

As such, some of the most literate and intelligent individuals in society, are those taking "Media" type courses, because we are taught to not take everything at face-value, and often, to question everything we see and hear around us, in the world today! :lesson:

The only reason any politician would dare claim that "Media" courses are somehow less worthy than doing law, politics, teaching or whatever, is because they don't want the public at large to know about the way they (politicians) and the people-in-charge abuse the media, to manipulate us, into believing certain things. If people do learn that everything the media says is not true, then people become empowered to make a change, and start to realise that politicians aren't the clean-cut individuals they would like us to think they are! :D

Pooch

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    get hold of TV BBC2 prog "The Century of the Self".
    last I looked there was a low res but watchable version of the four program set on the wayback machine.

(Is this one of the three ? :) )

5. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,007
    ... and some of the laziest, thickest, pretentious individuals in society who I've ever encountered also take those courses :D

You don't have to to take such a course to adequately read between the lines, understand the nuances of the media, political manipulation etc etc

I'd recommend all three of Adam Curtis' recent doc series:
    The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom
    The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear
    The Century of the Self

btw OP, as regards "people do and believe the most ridiculous of things" ... would Britain's "Mourning Sickness" over Princess Diana be one of those things? I certainly think so.

6. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    It is in terms of the number of people who take these courses, and the number of available career positions in media. I know that there is far more to them than watching and critiquing films, but I also know that they are considered by many to be an easy option.

7. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I heard Richard Littlejohn sum that up very well recently on LBC as "an orgy of self-pity and emotional incontinence". That man is a genius at times :)

8. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Watch the X factor (car crash telly I know).
    How many people say they should be selected because they 'want' it so much - and then break down when reality bites.
    Nothing about deserving to be selected through merit or earning success.

QED.

It does make you wonder about the state society will be in in fifty years time.

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    The X-factor is though, an example of the OP's original point. Like BB it's image and emotional manipulation in action. It's also a classic example of 'sleight of hand' that's done so well that the millions who watch it still haven't got it yet.

I would say we are indeed being manipulated, but then, we always have been. Then it was Church and State, now it's media and govt.