Cucumber Channel 4

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Julie Hesmondheigh is to star in the new Russell T Davies drama Cucumber.
The Channel 4 drama about gay life in the 21st Century is Hesmondhalgh's first TV role since she left the part of Hayley Cropper in Coronation Street. It also stars Freddie Fox and Vincent Franklin and it will air next year.

BBC News - Former Corrie star returns to TV in Russell T Davies drama

Saw the trailer a while back, did not resister any interst for me, so will be skipping it

The title just screams 'Look at me kidz! We're down with the yoof!"

& the fact that one part of this '3 show interconnecting series' has to be watched on 4OD rather than a proper channel means it's aimed at teenagers.

I'm out! :D

Yip - guess I'm probably not the target audience for this, as it looks terrible !

Indeed the trailers don't look that good but it's RTD so I'll give it a go. Looks like he's gone back to a Queer As Folk style. If so I hope it's a fresh approach rather than a retread.

Bri

I wonder if it'll have gay Daleks? Even I forget where that reference is from.

not many folks voicing any opinion in either thread :D
it's like we are a minority within a minority. o_O
although I didn't enjoy it much I may have to watch part 2 to see if I am unfairly judging it,
I didn't mind the main 2 characters and their storyline, it was just all the twinks I couldn't be doing with, and the awfull music in that club... bring back hiNRG from the 90s I say !!!
however thinking about it in retrospect maybe we aren't supposed to like the vain younger characters or the music, that might be the point of understanding the main 2 older character's story ? or maybe I'm just over thinking it all, I shall return in a week after part 2 with a decision. :cool:

I'm still not impressed after part 2, it seems to me the whole thing was just written for shock value to please channel 4, I don't mind that but I do need at least one character to interest me enough to care about what happens to them, I've not bothered with the follow on series that they show afterwards and can't see me bothering with any more of this now either. over and out.

well.... thinking about it in hindsight maybe I'll watch part 3 next week before making a final judgement. :cool:

last night I caught up with the 2 episodes of Banana on 4oD, they do give a background to some of the characters in Cucumber, I think it will make a difference to how I view Cucumber now I've seen some character development. :lesson:

part 3 was as outrageous as parts 1 and 2, but the story is moving on nicely now and I'm wanting to know what happens next to everybody. :thumbsup:

I'm on some heavy duty hospital treatment at the moment and I had an adverse reaction to one of my lesser essential drugs which sucked all the life out of me. I've bounced back now that I've stopped taking it so I wanted a good laugh so had a double bill of episode two of Banana and three of Cucumber.

Scotty's actions in Banana appalled me but I also felt so sorry for her in her need to do that. She provoked actions that may have happenened at some future point anyway and probably should have happened. When the excrement hit the fan the at the end I was really pleased that her workmates jumped to her defence but didn't like how she managed to so easily isolate herself from the consequences. Not the laugh I wanted but a cracking and moving episode. I missed if this was a Russell T Davies penned episode. I think he's written all of Cucumber but has other writers helping him out on this. Either way it's great to see him back.

It reminded me of an event that happened to my wife and me many years ago. A much younger girl had been staring at my wife for some time. She eventually came over and said how beautiful my wife was and was the spitting image of a singer called Beth Orton. The girl clearly fancied my wife. As it happens neither my wife or I think she looks even remotely like Orton.

Cucumber gave me my much needed laugh. Such it had it's serious moments but it was very funny. There only seems to be Lion and me watching this. I'd urge you all to give it a go. It's way better than it looked in the trailers.

Bri

Last edited:
hope you get well soon brian.
this weeks cucumber was a laugh, and as outrageous as ever, you certainly needed your wits about you to follow who was with who !
and banana was good drama this week, pretty powerfull stuff about the effects of posting personal vids on social media.

Its a bit cliche' sometimes but a few episodes have really moved me.

What i love about these shows is that they feel very 'real' and current with what the world is like today (In the UK at least). This weeks Banana showed how dangerous Social media can be and i don't think a lot of people think about the consequences when they post online.

Love these shows, including Tofu

Really want to watch Queer as Folk but cant find it on Netflix and 4oD only has a few episodes

hope you get well soon brian.

Cheers Lion. I've another 4 weeks to go and I'm going to get a lot worse before I potentially get better. I'm not too bad at the moment though.:smashin:

I watched episode 3 of Banana last night and it did nothing for me at all. I just couldn't get into the characters or the story line. Episode 4 of Cucumber was as good as ever though. I was quite surprised that Russell T Davies thinks there's only one way to have sex with a woman from behind. Also who wouldn't have wanted to look at her face?

Bri

I was actually looking forward to cucumber this week, what a turn around from my initial review after episode one eh?!!
it didn't dissapoint, what wild complicated lives they lead on the manchester gay scene :eek:
that diver guy going round for a meal and what happened after was just hilarious. :rotfl:
banana was a good one again as well, made me laugh this week, and it's good how it ties in with cucumber each week, not watched any tofu so can't comment on that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom