Cube Speakers - Mission M-Cube??

ChristianBeccy

Further to my thread in which I asked about Bose speakers and was informed by several people that I should look elsewhere, I have been pointed towards the Mission M-Cube. These looks very nice. Can anyone who has heard these give me an idea what I can expect in terms of sound quality?

I plan to purchase the Sony STRDA1200 AV Receiver and connect my 32" LG 32LB1D set to it. I am hoping to achieve inspiring sound for movie watching, but also a decent sound for music CD's. I should point out that I am not looking for Audiophile quality, I simply aren't 'into' it enough to appreciate such small differences, however, I would like to make the right choice. We had a small demo of the Bose Acoustimass system and liked the sound, so something equal or better than that would be sufficient.

What other systems of this nature are available? I am trying to avoid trailing wires, and liked the ability to ceiling-mount these cube type speakers.

:lease:

ChristianBeccy

Incidentally, although I understand that alot of people like the Kef KHT series, I just don't really like the 'futuristic' look of those speakers.;) :lesson:

ChristianBeccy

Harmon Kardon HKTS11??

I wonder where I can see the Mission and Harmon Kardon stuff for real??

DolbyDan

How about the KEF KHT 5500.2?

Look better than the KEF Eggs, sound better than the Mission M-Cubes and Bose Acoustimass. Same Price.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I am hoping to achieve inspiring sound for movie watching, but also a decent sound for music CD's.

I'm afraid so say that in my opinion you are not likely to achieve either of those goals with any of the speakers you mention.

If the speakers must be small then I would say that the Monitor Audio Radius range is probably about the best all rounder for music and movies. I would consider a set of three Radius 225s at the front and to keep things discreet a pair of Radius 45s for the rears. I would tie this all together with the well regarded RSW12 also from Monitor Audio. Alaternatively the Radius R90 AV-12 Package would be pretty good too..

423.jpg

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?range=4&product=75

Echoing my original comments though, the music and movie performance from this sort of speaker system would not get any thing close to my defintion of "inspiring".

The smallest speaker package that I have heard that I would say achieves both of those goals would be something along the lines of a package basd around 5 PMC DB1+ monitors and a REL R205 or R305 subwoofer ,although I suspect this will not match your aesthetic requirements or planned budget.

DolbyDan

?? why oh why post that ?? :rolleyes:

I still think with your budget and considering you like the look of the Harmon Kardon HKTS11's the KEF KHT 5005.2's are imo what your looking for.

Owen824

I have the mission m-cubes and have to say i am impressed with them. needless to say up until 4 months ago i was on a all in one system (sony davs 550). they are very small and look good aesthetically (that was a must as my partner hates this kind of stuff cluttering up the lounge) and the sound quality is miles above my previous system. I got mine for a bargain so that is why i am so pleased with them. Have to say that if i had paid the £800 for them i might not be so pleased. Anyways, have to say well worth the £400 i paid for them and do not believe i could have gotten anything better for that price.

antlane

Standard Member
Anyways, have to say well worth the £400 i paid for them and do not believe i could have gotten anything better for that price.

I take it you got them second-hand? If not, where on earth did you get them for that price?! I take it they're not still available?

Owen824

Person won them in competition but did not need them as he already had much better set up so just wanted a quick sale. also managed to pick up the 2sets of the mission stands brand new for £90 including del! could not believe it. they cost £175 a set online!

ChristianBeccy

Well, we went into Hughes today and had a demo of a Celestion set (the AVP305).....

http://www.froogle.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CEL-AVP305

These do not fit in with what I would ideally like them to look like, but I was impressed with the sound. So at least I have a benchmark.

They were powered by a Yamaha AV Amp (the DSPAX759SE)......

http://www.froogle.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAM-DSPAX759SE-TITAN

The guy in there seemed really quite enthusiastic and although I appreciate that you must distance yourself a little from commission-based sales-people, he said he didn't rate the Mission M-Cubes at-all and that the Yamaha Amp was far better than the Sony STRDA-1200 AV Amp that I had wanted, despite the apparent lack of HDMI, which is said isn't really that important in reality.

Shame about the M-Cubes as I liked the look of them!!

Can anyone help me make some sense of this??!!

What we did learn is that we think we can see a way to become more flexible with our choice of speakers. We now realise that we must have the rear speakers virtually at head-level, so need to stop looking at high-level rears. This means that as long as they can be wall-mounted and as compact as possible that almost anything goes. I am fussy on looks though. I don't really like the look of those Celestion ones, which is really of the same fashion as the KEF's that I have seen. I also learnt that the front's and centre speaker should probably sit on the cabinet on which the TV also sits, so again, compact, but not necessarily as compact as Bose Acoustimass is possible.

I would appreciate further help, thank you!!:lease:

ChristianBeccy

Oh, I like the Aego-T series too.:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom