• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cube Cubed - a Passive Radiator Sub Build

Member 786053

Standard Member
I have always loved passive radiators, so I thought I would finally do a build log along with all the parts needed. Thanks to Parts Express, I am able to bring one of these Passive Radiator Builds to life. My goal was to make a small subwoofer that would still have high spl, for a smaller room all while keeping the cost of the major parts under $200. As I looked around, I haven't found many great subs in that price range, so I thought DIY work might give the best bang for the buck. Here's a list of all the parts chosen for this project along with links:

Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm
2 - Dayton Audio SD215-PR 8" Passive Radiator
Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
Harrison Labs FMOD Inline Crossover Pair 30 Hz High Pass RCA

I didn't have a separate DSP, so I had to go with an FMOD for the High pass to protect the woofer from over excursion. I did test it, and it was an issue. ALthough, if you have a DSP you would not need the FMOD. The total cost with the FMod is $190.

The Enclosure is a very small footprint sitting at a 14" cube with 3/4" MDF or a 13.5" cube using 1/2" MDF. So it is a great footprint for a smal room.

Later I'll post the theoretical response before room gain via WinISD. I will say, I have been playing this and it blew me away. I was very pleased with the SPL this thing can put put out, especially for it's size.

Member 786053

Standard Member
Theoretical Frequency Response with no added mass in a 1 cubic foot cabinet.
attachment.php

Theoretical SPL using 100 watt amplifier (106DB)
attachment.php

Cone Excursion without a High Pass
attachment.php

Cone Excursion with 30hz High Pass
attachment.php

When I get it all assembled, I'll post the actual graphs via REW and my UMIK1.

Member 786053

Standard Member
Finished Pictures: I may repaint it. My wife likes it so much, she wants it in the living room. That means, it'll need to be white. Oh well..
attachment.php

attachment.php

Size and Cutouts:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

brettuss

Novice Member
I love my diy PR subs! Multiple units are even better and take up little room being the same size as it's sealed variant but with the added extension in the low frequency....

Member 786053

Standard Member
That is a great point! I love my PR sub. I currently am using it in my living room and love the way it sounds. So tight and crisp. Maybe if I ever get anymore money, I'll make a few more ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom