Cube Chameleon

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve1980, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Steve1980

Steve1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Does anyone have any experience with this brand. Possibly in the market for a new laptop to last the next few years (upgrade on an Acer Aspire 5750G) and the spec seemed quite decent for the price.

Cube CZ10, CB-C44S8-622LS, Cube Chameleon Cz10

Any thoughts would be very much appreciate

Cheers
    Steve

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    The laptop looks like a Clevo W650SR or similar (Clevo make barebones laptops for lots of manufacturers) so the machine itself is probably fairly solid. I can't find any reference to Cube though, searching for their logo just brings up that site. It may be that Box are trying to develop an own brand so you wouldn't have any manufacturer's warranty to fall back on if the retailer got snotty.

EDIT: It's a bit of a silly name choice really, given the previous PC Builder named Cube (Cube 247) went bust a few years ago with big debts and a bad reputation.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Steve1980

Steve1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Seems to be a Chinese company About Us - Shenzhen Alldo Cube Technology And Science Co., Ltd.. Would the 2yr warranty enforcable with a company that doesn't seem to have a visible UK presence. I assume saveonlaptops have a fairly decent reputation as they seem to be recommended on this forum regularly

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,519
    What makes you think it's them? I don't see the product on their website, and anything from them with the cube name seems to have completely different branding.

If it is them then I presume they have a UK presence of some sort to offer the warranty, ask the store to provide you with the terms and conditions for it, that should set out who's responsible. Obviously you're going to have your legal rights against the UK retailer (all goods have to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose) if it does die on you after a year.

I always get them confused with laptopsdirect, I know they're the same company as Box.co.uk but I've never looked into them.

5. Steve1980

Steve1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Looks like you were correct EW. Think I was hunting a bit too much for info. This is the response from SaveOnLaptops

Good Afternoon,

I can confirm this unit is made and devolved by ourselves.
    The DoA period is 30 days.
    The warranty is undertook by ourselves in the first year we will collect and return the machine to you free of charge.
    The second year you would need to send the unit back at your own cost.

6. Harrison99

Harrison99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you buy the laptop? Because I found this as well and would like your opinion.

7. Steve1980

Steve1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Now as of yet. Will probably be making a decision about what to get in the next week or so

8. Harrison99

Harrison99
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if you do buy it could you tell me what you think of it. It would be much appreciated.

9. KitTemple

KitTemple
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Cube PC from Box broke after 11 months - the power supply simply stopped working. I sent the product back extensively wrapped in bubblewrap. Box took 3 weeks from when I told them the machine was broken to tell me that my machine was smashed by their courier - 3 weeks of chasing them and them not replying to me to tell me what was going on. Now they are simply shipping back my smashed to pieces machine refusing to help - and making some delighted point about me having no consumer protection because I purchased on a business account. Very suspicious behaviour and terrible customer service - avoid this company at all costs.