cube and s video

S

shoalin kid

does the game cube output in s vid cos i tried with a logic 3 lead for all the consoles but the cube has no picture on my plasma but ps2 works

If your using a pal GC then no it doesn't output a s-video signal, however an ntsc GC does.

I'm sure composite/RGB scart to s-video convertors are available but why would you want to and why go to the expence ??
Your using a plasma so you want a Component or RGB scart cable for your GC :thumbsup:

my bnc inputs are taken up by my dvd so id have to use my amp to switch the dvd and the cube my comp leads for dvd were £110 iwill the picture be worse using my denon to switch the signal

i ve looked for the cube component leads and cant find any except american ones, know of anywhere i can buy some

You're probably best off getting an RGB SCART lead for your 'cube and feeding that to your TV. It should have a SCART socket or two (and you can get a SCART switch from somewhere like Maplin if needed). A gamecube RGB cable isn't that expensive: have a look on Amazon.co.uk. I got one for about a fiver (it wasn't a Nintendo-brand one, though).

That and the fact that if you can have RGB or component over S-Video, then go for it. The picture quality is much higher.

Good luck, anyway.

The cable Eviljohn2 has posted a link to is the cable you want, it's the one i had before i stupidly sold my GC collection(which i am trying to get back) it also works on any region GC and offers a very slightly better picture on a pal GC than the official GC RGB scart cable.
I also bought it from Lik-Sang so if you haven't bought from them before, don't hesitate to do so, i have bought many things from them and i have always received the goods within 10 days of order in A1 condition.
I also use my AV amp to switch between sources(xbox,dvd player) with absolutely no loss in picture quality on my 42inch plasma :smashin:

Originally posted by <<ERROR>>
You're probably best off getting an RGB SCART lead for your 'cube and feeding that to your TV. It should have a SCART socket or two (and you can get a SCART switch from somewhere like Maplin if needed).

Depending on the make and model of his plasma, he might not have scart sockets.

A gamecube RGB cable isn't that expensive: have a look on Amazon.co.uk. I got one for about a fiver (it wasn't a Nintendo-brand one, though).[/B]

I've only ever found that the official Nintendo RGB has the best PQ of any of them. Most of the unofficial ones never did RGB and some of the others e.g. Game produced a terrible image with a lot of cross hatching.

Most of the unofficial ones never did RGB and some of the others e.g. Game produced a terrible image with a lot of cross hatching.
Ah. Point taken. I'll be getting an official one then... Although I believe that mine at least has it's RGB pins wired - the TV gave a picture when I selected RGB mode.

Anyway, even if some plasma screens don't have a SCART socket, I believe that some others do have a 'VGA' socket - it will take TV-frequency RGB signals (and I have no idea about VGA-frequency signals). I think that Maplin sell SCART to Plasma VGA converters (just wiring, no sync doubling etc.).

I don't know much about this area, though. I am way out of my depth here (plasma screens and all).

--snip-- ...and offers a very slightly better picture on a pal GC than the official GC RGB scart cable.
Hmm. I'm curious why? Is there a difference in resolution between the SCART and the component video? (as I'm fairly sure that there is no progressive scan on any PAL games)

Originally posted by <<ERROR>>

Anyway, even if some plasma screens don't have a SCART socket, I believe that some others do have a 'VGA' socket - it will take TV-frequency RGB signals (and I have no idea about VGA-frequency signals). I think that Maplin sell SCART to Plasma VGA converters (just wiring, no sync doubling etc.).

I don't know much about this area, though. I am way out of my depth here (plasma screens and all).

I was just responding re the plasma screen as shaolin kid didn't say what plasma he had or what other inputs apart from s-vid or component. All plasmas will accept a VGA signal as far as I'm aware. There are various RGB to VGA converters out there and the best of the bunch by far is the JS Tech, RGB to VGA converter. Widely acknowledged over in the plasma forum. I have one and cant fault it but is may be a bit pricey at £120 if its only going to be used for a GC though:D

my plasma is a fujitsu 4229e it does have a rgb but a 15 pin ,i did nt think id be able to use this with the cube so i thought comp vid was the way to go.and yes £120 is too pricey just for the cube

How do you connect the rest of your gear up to the plasma?

ive only got my dvd and ps2 connected so only comp and s vid used ,its got a video input but not sure wat that is .use a dedicated room for my hc stuff upstairs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom