Cuban Fury (14 Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Derek S-H, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,538
    Just been watching some of the video diary clips of Nick Frost describing his four month training routine as he attempts to learn Salsa dancing from the starting position of a complete novice.

He does brilliantly!

I would love to be able to dance well and have just bought "Just Dance" 1, 2 and 3 on the Wii in an attempt to teach myself - wish me luck!

As for the film, I think we all know how it will more than likely end, and it's probably more about the journey than the arrival in cinematic terms. I also think that it may work better on DVD/Blu than on the big screen, but I hope it does well and the cast looks good (apart from the "obligatory" attractive American bunged in to increase foreign markets' interest).

Anyone else interested or is this just a film for girls?!;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Well, I went to see it today...and you're suspicions are close. Its not a movie just for the girls but its a bona fide date movie and for that purpose its a pretty decent one. It aint a film for the guys to see on their own like er...like...like what I did...:blush: I guess that is why Sam Cross or Rai never created a thread for it. But hey, its a new cinema release with likeable stars and in Nick Frost case, half-iconic. So well done Derek, for creating the thread ("like" button clicked!).

The film is very cheesy and sometimes uncomfortable, although the uncomfortable moments are played for laughs, I am nevertheless squirming in my seat at the back trying to remain inconspicuous for fear of being spotted by someone who knows me

Nick Frost carries the film with confidence though, there is a little Ricky Gervais's Andy Millman at play here, a man who surpresses his urges to do things that may come across uncool to his friends and colleagues. He gives a fine performance here and I really enjoyed that.

However, the film is very fluffy and way too caricatured. Sure we know these characters in our everyday lives but they are so OTT, subtlety is definitely not the name of the game here.

As for the main plot, well you know what...this is actually the Salsa version of Sly and DeNiro's The Grugde Match movie...Salsa becomes literally a boxing match build up film and I actually found that pretty cool.

But again, its OTT. I keep squirming several times at some of the "comedy" involving a middle eastern salsa enthusiast who is quite obviously very gay in his actions whereby the film plays heavily on his actions and Nick Frost's reactions for comedy effect. We've seen it before in Extras and hundreds of lightweight comedies since the 70s/80s. But this sort of comedy is old and crass. You might enjoy it though but its not my cup of tea kind of comedy.

Besides Nick Frost, the salsa is the star of the movie and I actually found myself toe tapping at an alarming rate, so much so I was consciously hoping I was sitting far enough away from the next person because I dont want anyone see me toe tapping with this "girly" date movie...'cos you know, it aint cool, is it? Right? However, I am very disappointed that Nick Frost doesnt actually get any thinner and as a result is given an obvious stunt double to do his more complicated moves. Nick Frost may have put in a lot of physical hard work to learn salsa but it seems to me he compensated by eating more Cornish Pastries so looks exactly the same shape in the end. As a health and fitness trainer, myself, I am VERY disappointed! But the movie tries to preach that it doesnt matter what size you are, you can still Salsa and blow everyone away. I dont buy that crap...and seeing that stuntman do the marginally more complicated moves just proves my point. To excel in any physical activity, you need to exercise AND eat healthier. In Grudge Match, Sly and Deniro work harder, ate healthier resulting in leaner bodies. No escaping it. Here endeth the lesson.

Anyway, its all very lightweight fun, has an uncomplicated plot and is ultimately feel good. The salsa showdowns are actually great, Nick Frost is engaging and the dialogue is often funny (it better be for this sort of movie). On a negative side, the whole film is too fluffy, it cheats too much to propel the journey and as I said, the supporting characters are way too caricatured to an almost embarrassing level.

But I love the film's moral message, in some ways I can relate to it...I reflect on my feelings I had sitting in the back corner seat of the cinema...why am I embarrassed to watch this film on my own. I love movies, I see anything. Why do I need to suppress telling anyone that more than half the time, I go to the cinema on my own? Why do I have to feel ashamed of that...why should I be concerned with the social stigma of what is cool or uncool?

Well, I am a hardcore cinema goer so I have my excuse to see this film and although I not ashamed to see it without a date, I have to admit this is really a movie to take a date/partner with! But one you and your partner will sufficiently enjoy and perhaps be spurned on to take Salsa lessons.

6/10

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,538
    Cheers!

I think I started this Thread because, much as I like this particular Forum, there are rarely any "uncool" films that people will admit to being interested in. Now I don't know if this is a male thing or not, I don't think so going by the occasional list Thread describing "guilty pleasures" or "films so bad they're great".

And good point, TJ, over the fact that Nick doesn't seem to change shape - he claims he trained five days a week for seven hours at a time! Salsa burns calories, it's not Happy Hardcore but still!

Very good review, by the way. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity in some ways through scripting to direction and casting. Shame that Olivia wasn't cast as the love interest as well, be nice to see her happy after the way she's been treated by men!

So what do you think - off the big screen after a fortnight and costs recouped through DVD/Blu sales and rentals?

4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
    Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,645
  5. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Oh I think it will linger on a it has a fairly broad appeal, the trailers do give an attractive comedy vibe and glitz, the salsa is sexy (NOT when Frost is dancing! lol) and I guess should sell/rent well enough to recoup its budget. My audience did laugh several times and its clear many of them lapped up the comedy from the Middle Eastern gay character. Think Martin Short in Father of the Bride multiplied by 5.

I actually made some lengthy comments in another thread called "Women in Sci Fif" about who posts and reads in this AVforums movie section and the way we post. In summary, it almost feels as if we are in a Mens locker room...BUT I suspect many female readers are reading but given the nature of "men talk" would feel uncomfortable to post. And in the same way, I think some of us wont eloborate on our uncool "guilty pleasures" ;)

Very informative review on the as always. Kind of giving away the identity of the cameo, though! It was a good one though, even though its a blink or you'll miss it, it was really effective and funny.

6. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,538
    Yes, I saw some of your posts on that Sci-Fi Thread, TJ.

I think it got me thinking, which is why I decided to start a Thread about a film that few would admit to going to see or liking!