1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CTX PS 5100 Alignment Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NeutronIC, Jan 9, 2005.

1. NeutronIC

NeutronIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I've got a couple of CTX PS 5100 units, outside of warranty (and CTX aren't being forthcoming with any information), and they seem to have developed a bit of a blur problem, one worse than the other. By using a simple cross hatch program on a PC we have isolated that it is the GREEN gun that is aiming incorrectly, blue and red seem to be behaving well on both projectors.

We're quite capable of opening the projector up and modifying anything that's modifyable - the problem is that we can't immediately see what we need to be tweaking to adjust the direction of the guns.

<HR>

The following is from my Dad, who is looking at them at the moment:

OK, I have had a closer look at both projectors and they both exhibit the same problem, Projector A much more than Projector B.

The problem is Non Convergence of the colour guns in the horizontal.
    Horizontal bars show no problem, so vertical convergence is fine.
    However, vertical bars show a marked non convergence.

When in FRONT projection the problem is most evident on the right side of the bars.
    When in REAR projection the problem is most evident on the left side of the bars.
    When in CEILING projection the problem is most evident on the left side of the bars.

I’m using a crosshatch program to do the testing and the problem is evident in the following colour pairs: Yellow (Red & Green), Cyan (Green & Blue)
    and also in White (Red, Green & Blue).

<HR>

If anyone can provide any assistance it would be most gratefully appreciated!

Many thanks indeed

Matthew Peddlesden

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    firstly, I think these CTX projectors are LCD units rather than CRT that this forum is dedicated to.

second, they don't use 'guns', so you can't tweak their 'direction'. I hope that it's just a case of you using the wrong language, bit if I were a CTX engineer and someone rang asking me how to adjust the guns in an LCD projector I don't think I'd be too confident in their abilities.

These type of projectors use three LCD panels to create the picture. The panels are usually arranged like three sides of a square, the fourth side being the output to the lens. Often you will find little adjustment screws holding the panels in place. This is where convergence adjustments can be made.

If I can find a picture then I'll post it a little later.

Regards

OK, here's the disclaimer: This forum response does not encourage, condone or otherwise actively encourage anyone reading it to attempt to effect a repair on any electrical equipment. Please seek the assistance of a qualified technician.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    the picture shows the inside of an LCD projector with the video processing board lifted up to reveal the lamp, optical splitter block etc.

The three panels are arranged Noth, East and South. The purple highlighted section is the image integrator which recombined the red, green and blue images. The lens is located West.

Regards

4. NeutronIC

NeutronIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Matt.