1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CTHD - R1 Quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Russ, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I watched my new R1 version of CTHD last night and was surprised to find that the transfer is dirty and sound levels regularly drop in the English dubbed 5.1 track.

Strange, given the hype around this film - I would have expected a pristine transfer !
    Russ

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    No dropouts on the Mandarin(?) track + subs.

I've no complaints about the piccy either.

3. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the R1 CTHD RCE ???

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it's not, 100% not rce.
    I also think that the pictures an excellent transfer!
    Also the sound in dd 5.1 english and manderin suffer no drop outs for me. :confused:

5. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the disc on R1 and have found the transfer to be good and no complaints regarding the audio either!! :)

6. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,
    Well can it be my disk ?

What I mean by the picture quality is that there is most definatly 'dirt' on the print (look at the early chapters)- otherwise the transfer is clean.

The sound issue is strange. I listened to the English dubbed 5.1 soundtrack and in places the voice levels do lower (not dropout completely). This 'feature' is not present on the Manderin5.1 track.

Oh well, I enjoyed the film in any case ! (but my son thinks the flying bits are 'pants' !)
    Russ

7. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loved it! Didnt get sound dropout, just thought the dialogue was a bit quiet. Bit of a lip synch problem on the english soundtrack!!!!! Bit like my "empire strikes back" DVD ;)

8. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur, the flying bits are indeed PANTS! Totally un-necessary, they looked like a bunch of fairies! :rolleyes:

In my opinion, this is THE MOST overrated film of all time! A waste of money....

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: Ace007 ]

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Ace,

No offence intended, but CTHD is not meant to be a proper martial arts film, ala "Enter The Dragon" or whatever. It is a drmatic FANTASY film, with martial arts elements!

Yes, the treetop fight is far-fetched, but it isn't meant to be taken that seriously. I think Ang Lee is having a little joke at our expense (i.e. Western audiences reaction to Martial Arts movies, and the success of "The Matrix", et al.).

As for being overhyped, the same could be said of "The Matrix", "The Blair Witch Project" and "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace". Yet, all 3 of these were box office successes! The same applies to "The Mummy Returns", "Waterworld" and "Titanic".

Personally, I think that CTHD was excessively hyped, but if you watch it, and ignore the critcs, then it's still a fun, enjoyable adventure film! Surely, whether you enjoy a movie or not, is more important than what anyone else thinks?! (I hated "The Matrix", "Star Wars 1", and "Blair Witch Project", but plenty of people loved each of them! Does that make my opinion any less or more valid, than someone elses? No. It's purely personal preference.)

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but it's just that I don't think that CTHD is the MOST overhyped film ever! Hyped-up, definitely. But not the MOST overhyped film!

Pooch

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1 C'T'H'Dragon : Fantastic disc, for £15 what more do you want? If you want "Kung-Foo" try early Jet Li stuff
    If you want "loud stuff" try Armageddon.

11. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch,

You are officially the FIRST person I have met who HATES The Matrix!

Quote:
    No offence intended, but CTHD is not meant to be a proper martial arts film, ala "Enter The Dragon" or whatever. It is a drmatic FANTASY film, with martial arts elements!

Quote:
    If you want "Kung-Foo" try early Jet Li stuff
    If you want "loud stuff" try Armageddon.

Talk about jumping to conclusions! I didn't say it was crap because it wasn't a 'proper' martial arts movie or because it didn't have enough BANGS! I said it was CRAP in it's own right. It just didn't do anything for me. And to call it a fantasy because people prefer to fly instead of walking is abit far fetched in itself! At least in The Matrix there was a good reason why flying was possible.

Ace

PS - I have tried to understand what you are trying to say with the following quote but I just don't get it!

"Yes, the treetop fight is far-fetched, but it isn't meant to be taken that seriously. I think Ang Lee is having a little joke at our expense (i.e. Western audiences reaction to Martial Arts movies, and the success of "The Matrix", et al.)."

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Ace007 ]