1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CT100 by default?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by steford, Mar 10, 2005.

1. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have been meaning to have a distribution amp installed in the loft along with aerial (currently NTL only) for some months. Just called an installer who says regular coax is fine. Should I insist on CT100 for all runs and should I be concerned that he isn't concerned by not using it? It's £25 extra to use CT100 which is fine by me - I just want to make sure the install is quality and if he's prepared to use standard coax which may not be up to the job I am worried about the rest of the work.

Anything else I ought to insist on in terms of aerial etc.

Opinions appreciated.

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Quick answer, Yes I would always insist on CT100 or equivilent. It has to be that or near identical for it to be approved for use on a SKy system and on the orginal On Digital (now freeview) systems

The problem is CT100 is actually a brand from Radex CDT, but it has become sysnonmous (spelling) with cable of that type. Like Hoover really.

Other brands to look for are Webro's H109F or thier foam filled versions WF100. There are other who call the **100 and thats basically the bench mark.

Have a look at the CAI web site for more about bench mark testing and approval.

(sorry for the anorack reply)

Chris

3. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Here is a link to a guide about coax cable quality

As Chris says, there is more than one type of CT100, ranging from rubbish to excellent.

I suggest foam core WF100, only costs a few pence per metre extra than the cheap stuff but is much more robust than air spaced coax.
    If air spaced is kinked you loose a little bit of performance, and you can be sure an aerial contractor will kink the cable..

Hope that helps !

Mark.

4. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed over 600m (3 runs to everyroom) of coax.
    I used the foam dilectric stuff (the stuff telewest use) infact, I baught the 2x 305 meter drums off Telewest along with 150 Snap'N'Seal F-type connectors.
    This stuff is excelent, the black coating is mega tough, its filled with silicon to stop ingress, not that that is nessairy inside, the whole lot cost me £50 but I'm sure the engineer who I baught it from out the back of his van on the side of the road spent all that down the pub that night :p
    The stuff is the best cable you could put in really, the picture in every room is spot on and I recomend it for fully future proofing your airel network in your home. CPC sell this cable for £100 a drum :-S, but you could always aproach a Telewest engineer like I did lol.

5. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    OK thanks guys. I spoke to a 2nd installer who quoted more but said he used shielded decent cable as standard rather than bog standard cable. He's also reassuringly more expensive and gave me more confidence but not outrageously priced. £159 for decent digital aerial install, £50 for each drop (bedroom and kitchen) which is going to need hole drilling etc, £75 for living room up and down and £5 per faceplate install (not recessed). I have the loftbox and faceplates already. All prices + VAT which I'll try and get him to not add in for paying cash. This is a London install by the way.

6. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you do this instalation by yourself? I don't mean to be cheaky but installing aireal cable is not a hard job.

7. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Don't fancy going up on the roof to do the aerial. Don't fancy messing about on ladders I don't have drilling holes through walls that needs a bit I don't have. Don't really fancy putting wire down cavity walls etc. I'd just like to get it done right once and for all.

8. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh fair enough mate.
    I understand you not wanting to do the bit on the roof but the rest isn't too chalanging.
    I like doing the work myself, I know its done properly then, plus you would save yourself a few quid doing it yourself. If you don't like getting your hands dirty thats fair enough :)

9. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh I wouldn't know it was being done properly :-( Which is why I need to make sure the contractor is decent. Thanks though.

10. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I've just found this as a link on the CAI's web site.

Benchmarked Coax Cable http://www.cai.org.uk/asp/bmcables.asp

Benchmarked Aerials http://www.cai.org.uk/asp/bmaerials.asp

Oh and the cable that Telewest use is not CAI benchmarks. It will work fine, it is a legacy thing from the cable tv operators in the USA. The cable type will be RG59 and RG6. They can have the same quality issues in terms of the amount and type of sheild and braiding. £50 for that lot is a barging though. Connectors themselves will be 14 - 16p each and then a drum of the cable will range from £30 - £60 each depending on the quality

On word of warning, I have known Sky engineers walk off site when they have found RG59 or 6 on a job. It is not Sky Approved and never will be. However this is harder to spot as most people have a foam filled version of the CT100 cable, which looks just llike the RG range, just a little bigger (and we are talking mm)

11. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for that. The guys I have booked are on the CAI list but will be using RG6 they say for 3 runs of about 5-15m each. It'll be £15 more for CT100 - should I pay the extra? Total cost inc VAT is around £400 so far.

12. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hummmmm,

Not sure what the CAI would say about an approved installer using RG6.

As I have said RG6 has just the same quality issues as the various CT100's out thier. Personally would not be happy with it.

But I am out of touch with the retail prices but would be interested to see what others on here would charge.

13. steford

steford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I've just emailed a couple of other installers on the CAI list to see what they come up with. Thanks.