CSI: New York - Views on Season 4 (No Spoilers Please!)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 13, 2008.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Okay, so "CSI: NY" Season 4 started last night on Five, and if you missed it, it's repeated at 9pm tonight (Sunday 13th) on FiveUS, or 10pm on FiveUS +1.

This thread, is purely just to see what people thought of the new characters and the opening episode in general. Please don't include any spoilers though, as this is not meant to be a long thread to discuss all of Season 4. Cheers! :)

Here's my opinions:

Good:
    - Loved new character Kendall Novak, played by Bess Wohl. Could be interesting to see her character develop with Med Lab Technician Adam Ross. ;) Oh, and she's a real screen-burner! :thumbsup: See photo here.
    - The plotline was good, if far-fetched, but at least it was believable, unlike "CSI: Miami"!
    - Nice to see some new lab equipment, especially the excellent device that the pathologist guy has, which creates a holographic 3D CGI image of the human skull, brain and head in general! Very cool! :)
    - The excellent use of CGI effects, especially for blood spatter, looked truly incredible, especially when Mac Taylor tries to recreate the murder, using a blood-filled dummy! Once you see that effect, it's really effective, almost beautiful in it's grimness!
    - The beginning of the Season-long story arc, and the significance (if any) of 3:33am! (If you've seen the episode, it'll make sense. If not, watch it, and it will all become clear. :) )

Bad:
    - The only let down, is the hideous reworking of the theme tune (The Who's "Baba O'Reilly"), which has been "chavved-up", with a horrible drum beat, and reverberation of the actual lyrics by Roger Daltrey, and it's bloody awful. (The new opening credits, though, are pretty cool, but without the Seasons 1-3 theme music, just doesn't work!)

Other than that, a fun first episode. Can't wait to see how the Season-long story arc pans out! ;)

Pooch

P.S. The actress playing Nova Kent, the pianist, is Alison Sudol. Does anyone know if a) that was really her singing in the episode, and b) if she's a genuine musician, or just a very good actress. Her music seen in the show, was really nice! :) Wouldn't mind listening to more of her works.

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I thought oh, here we go CSI: Miami again. Chuck any old preposterous nonsense out there as long as it looks good. Two women in designer lingerie in the first five minutes - not that I mind that, of course, but it does smack of desperation.

Regards

Mark

3. Speedoguy

Speedoguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    My recording failed last night so big thanks for the repeat info :thumbsup:

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
  5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Almost Lover
    [youtube]7LqJ2Hqt3A4[/youtube]

Last of Days
    [youtube]Ikz82kj5UTY[/youtube]

Good CSI episode as well.

6. mrgrill

mrgrill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too right!!! :mad:

I sat down to watch it a little later as I sky+ it. Got comfortable, waiting for the great opening title (I really like Baba O'Reilly btw) and then that.... :eek:

I think from now on I'll mute the opening theme tune and play the original :D

7. Simon_143

Simon_143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Watched the 3rd episode of this on Saturday and it seems to be doing a "Miami". This weeks story (James Bond thieves) was so stupid, I hope it doesn't continue in this vain, and the crimes become a little more believable.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I quite enjoyed this week's episode, even if it was far-fetched. At least, it was plausible - to a certain degree - unlike "CSI Miami" became in Seasons 4 and 5, were it just reversed an SUV up it's own rectal passage! :eek: :D

Plus, I'm so keen to see what happens with the phone calls/stalker storyline! The bloody shirt, is really intriguing me! :thumbsup: And Flack's girlfriend is scorching! :smashin:

Pooch

9. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    What the **** was that? Did the writers dig up an old Knight Rider script?

I'd expect something like that on CSI Miami, but I thought New York tried to keep some semblance of reality on their show?

I was honestly expecting the car to go invisible at some point...

:nono:

10. BiffBoy

BiffBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Just watched a recorded episode of CSI:NY last night, not sure of the name, but it was based around Second Life.....and I have never laughed so much!

First of all, ignoring all the usual TV/Film computer misnomers (like never using a mouse, being able to do everything with a removable keypad) I realized it could suddenly get worse:

1) When they suddenly realized that CSI headquarters was under cyber-attack (!) the boss shouts to his techie "quick, throw up the firewall...." like it was something you turned on when you thought you were under attack LOLOLOL. They must have techies sat at their desks in IT departments monitoring incoming all day long in case they need to "throw up the firewall".

2) Then, to cap it all off, when the (probably top of the range, government funded) thrown-up firewall didn't stop the (mid twenties average guy) hacker from accessing their systems the boss told the techie to "shut it all down"...which he did by pressing the ESCAPE key! Phew, that was close.

So I have now had to teach my wife how to "throw up the firewall" on our PC and laptop just in case she needs to and also never to touch the ESCAPE key in case she shuts down all our systems. :nono:

I never laughed so much in my like. I can usually forgive the usually naff Hollywood IT stuff, but in an episode based around an IT/computer related subject I expected a little more accuracy. :lesson:

11. Simon_143

Simon_143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    This series the stories have been very poor.

Last week we had some women dancing around her victim bullfighter style as she killed him. :rolleyes:. The crimes are no longer even remotley likely to happen. If they continue like this I will be crossing it off my watch list as I did with CSI Miami some time ago

12. heathen666

heathen666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,540
    The latest series has been hit and miss for me, some of the episodes have been enjoyable even though the crimes are somewhat over the top. Others have been totally forgettable.

I totally agree with Biffa, that episode was a bit of joke, but I've given up picking the holes in the CSI science / computer myths.

Must be interesting working on a helpdesk at CBS, with their constant phone calls of “But the computers on CSI can do it so why can’t mine?” being the most frequent call.

13. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

I admit that this Season of "CSI: NY" hasn't been as intelligent as previous Seasons, but in spite of all the flaws, it's still very enjoyable. At least, it hasn't gone complete OTT like "CSI: Miami"! ;)

At least "CSI: NY" is nothing less than innovative, when it comes to staging its victims deaths. :D Check out the one to be shown on Saturday 1st March... Very cool way to be murdered! :rotfl:

Pooch

14. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,532
    I've thought the current series has been average/good so far. Although the Second Life themed episode was complete crap.

I think the CSI:NY writers have realised how crap CSI:Miami has got, so probably aren't bothering as much as they know even a tiny bit of a decent storyline would please anybody who has watched the last series of Miami. :rotfl: