1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSI:New York starts tonight!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 5, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Just a quick note to remind everyone that "CSI: New York" starts tonight on Five, Saturday 5th Feb, at 21:05 hours! :clap:

Don't forget to watch/record it! :lesson: And if you miss it, there isn't any weekly repeat, so don't complain to me for not knowing when it was going to be on! :D

Pooch

2. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Out tonight so will just have to keep fingers crossed that Sky+ does it job :rolleyes:

3. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    1st impression, not terribly impressed. :( but I'll see how it goes.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I thought it was quite good, for a Pilot Episode! It was dark, uncomforting and twisted, and not too dissimilar to the film "Se7en". The opening title music, The Who's "Baba O'Reilly" gels well with the tone of the show. More to the point, the episode left me wanting more.

Gary Sinise's character "Mac" is intriguingly broody, moody and strange. Eddie Cahill's character "Don Flack" looks like a nice gentle guy, but appears to have an unnervingly sinister edge to him. Melina Kanakeredes' character of "Stella Bonasera" looks like the caring, pleasant female detective, but I expect her character to develop into something quite different over the next few weeks.

To judge a new show, even from a well-established stable like "CSI", on the basis of one single episode, is generally bad. There are many shows that start badly, but have become big hits! Look at "CSI", "The Practice", "The Shield", Oz", "Cracker", "Prime Suspect", "Friends", "The Bill", "Eastenders", and many, many more.

On a similar note, "Point Pleasant" (which is on E4 at the moment), lasted 13 episodes for the first season. Each week, in the USA, the show has constantly lost ratings, in big numbers. Over the first four episodes, the show has lost some 60% of its audience!! :eek: To me, this is probably going to be the death-knell for the show, and I can't see the show being signed-up for a new season. In fact, at the moment, I suspect that in the USA, they may not even get to see more than another 4 episodes, and that the season could well end-up with some of the episodes receiving World Premieres on E4!

At least give "CSI: NY" a chance, before rendering a verdict! Not all great TV comes from just the very first episode. Hell, even "Star Trek" (The Original Series) bombed when it was first aired! Look at the amount of ratings and money that one show created, and the fact it practically re-opened the sci-fi genre to TV networks, from whom shows like "Buffy", "Alien Nation", "The Dark Zone", "Lexx", "Battlestar Galactica" and "Farscape" may never have been given the green-light to be created.

Pooch

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    wasnt overly impressed with "NY" but may find it gets better like Miami did...but i am kinda fed up of gritty dark New York crime shows CSi was cool because it was shot in vegas and they could use a different lens filter.....

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HornyDragon,

Try watching "CSI: NY" whilst wearing specs with yellow lenses in them! That might make the show a bit brighter for you! :rotfl: Failing that, switch on a light or two, in your living room (or wherever your TV is set-up)! :laugh:

Or, if that isn't any help, go back to watching something really cheerful, like "Eastenders"! :D

I'm sure "CSI: NY" will improve. Just give it a chance, and don't try to compare it to the other two "CSI" shows, as apart from names, they aren't really related.

Pooch

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I made a point of recording it to assess if it will be a future DVD purchase (i wont be watching anymore - i cant watch DVD shows on TV anymore - ads :eek: cuts :eek: :eek: )

I quite enjoyed it (i'll be buying the DVD at some point) but like CSI:LV i dont know why i enjoyed it. I love watching CSI (i got through seasons 2 and 3 in less than a week over xmas) but afterwards i think its all a bit pants. I find it difficult to let go of the fact that these people wouldn't be interveiwing suspects etc. They are LAB RATS - there to collect evidence and NOT to solve the crime.

gary

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    What’s with the these TV programs that the main character has to talk in a low deep whispering mumbles, so you can barely make out what there saying, yet when there in films they talk up.

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    I think Sly Stallone would have been a better casting decision than Gary Sinise based on this fact alone!!! He can act too, despite what most people say...

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Gary D - Just a few points for you. :)

1) "CSI: NY" is showing uncut on Five.

2) In all honesty, all three variations of the CSI franchise can't stand too much scrutiny, and yes, you are right that in the real-world CSI's donothing else except gather evidence. That's all they are allowed to do. Collect and process evidence. However, all crime shows (to a greater or lesser degree) have parts and plots that don't occur in real life. As long as the show(s) are enjoyable, then I'm willing to suspend my disbelief.

3) You don't have to know why you enjoyed something. As long as you do enjoy it. :) Take "CSI" (or any of its other off-shoots) for what they all are:- fun, enjoyable, mostly intelligent crime dramas.

Also, anyone who thinks that Sly Stallone would be better than Gary Sinise, obviously hasn't seen Sinise's turn in "Ransom". Pure evil in that film, and thus a good choice in my eyes to be the main lead role in "CSI: NY". Sly couoldn't punch his way out of a wet paper-bag, in terms of acting skill! Hell, even the dead bodies on any CSI episode could out-act him! :laugh:

Pooch :)

11. BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I really enjoyed it. :)

Different enough to the other CSI shows to keep it interesting IMO.

I think Gary Sinise was a really good choice for the lead role. :thumbsup:

12. Banshee

Banshee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    First episode was good - I'll keep an eye on it and see how it progresses. Did anybody else notice that

Possible Spoiler

That the whole M.O. of the perpetrator was lifted wholesale from Mark Billingham's book - Sleepyhead.

End Possible Spoiler

13. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    got to say im not that impressed with CSI new york gary sinise is good but the rest of the casting is poor.

14. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Actually I thought the second episode was much better than the first. At least it had more forensic investigation in it, which I thought was lacking in the first. Agreed Gary Sinese comes across well but also unsure about the other characters. Time will tell. :thumbsup:

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

The second episode was really good! Nice and dark, more character development, and now we the viewers are being given more information about the main CSI team, and their personal issues. I think that "CSI: NY" is going to improve a lot, and is actually a nice addition to the "CSI" stable!

Pooch