1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSI: New York already in trouble on Five!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Feb 1, 2005.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Was in town at lunchtime, and bought the local paper "Birmingham Evening News", which had a front-cover story about "CSI: New York" and a promotion that's backfired.

To cut a long story short, it seems Five sent out promotional, fictional crime dossiers to around 55,000 people which stated that the recipient was being hunted or stalked, or may be next in line to be murdered by a serial-killer! :eek: The victims name in the "dossier" was changed to that of the recipient, e.g. if you were Sarah Smith of High Street, Northamton, the dossier would claim that photos/evidence of previous victims were all had the same name too!

I knew nothing about this promo, or the controversy it had caused until today, but there have been over a hundred complaints to Five, who have had to withdraw the promotion, since the story came to light at the end of last week!

The recipient of a "dossier" in Birmingham, 23-year old Paula Hamilton, complained about receiving the file-pack of information, which included photos, fake newspaper clippings and photos of murder scenes! Her pack, suggested that she was being stalked by someone. The recipient of another "dossier", received a similar pack, but with the details claiming he was going to be murdered by a serial killer!

The thing is, Five are no longer able to send-out to fans of the show, any more of the "dossiers", and many were thrown-away by those who received them, after they realised they had only been sent advertising material for the new crime show. However, many have also been pulped, to avoid them being sent to any more people, for fear of more complaints.

The only question I have is this: did any members of the AV Forums site, receive one of these packs, and if so, would you be kind enough to tell us what was included in the pack, and if you liked it, or were offended by it. Thanks.

The story is here.

Pooch

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i heard about this on 5 live a couple of days ago - i was gutted - i wanted one of those!!!

Gary

3. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, it sounded like a interesting promotional pack

It beats the normal borning stuff that comes through the post just hope no-one had a heart attack. I remember Sony done something on similar lines saying that you had a virus