1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crystalio or Lumagen Vision HDP Pro?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jackass, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Now that these two video processors are out is it to soon to get some user reviews and get some pro's and con's of the two units.

Favourable comments on the crystalio now has me swaying towards it but i was previously going to go with the Lumagen.

Also another important factor in my decision will be HI-Def performance - when I get hi-def either through Euro 1080 or Sky, which will have the better de-interlacing of 1080i and can further processing be done on 720p signal by either unit and again which would be better of the two?

Your expert or novice opinions are much welcome. :)

Steve.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Leave it as long as you can, it's very early days for both products. If HI-Def is important then the Lumagen might be the way to go, the Crystalio is limited to a simple weave or bob with no pulldown support. The Lumagen will use a software deinterlacer for HD, who knows how it will work out?

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    The Lumagen IS NOT OUT. There are BETA units in the field gathering feedback. Full implimentation of feature sets have not been carried out. Give it 4-6 weeks and then a better answer may be forthcoming from end users of production units.

Gordon

4. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    4-6 weeks, I cant wait that long! :D

Are there any other good solutions out there just now for doing 1080i?

Thanks guys.

5. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Jackass,

I was in the exact same position as you and went for the Crystalio - there are people who will go for the Lumagen. Each has a slightly different feature set and price, use different chipsets (Faroudja vs. SIL504/proprietary I think) and depends on what you want from your scaler, and what features are important to you.

BTW the Crystalio does "do" 1080i - I intend on getting Euro 1080 myself :)

Cheers,

Colin

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I am looking forward to testing the Crystalio with my panny sometime in the next two weeks when stock becomes available again.

Regarding HD deinterlacing PMS have stated that due to the modular nature of their scalers architecture that future upgrades are possible...not guaranteed though.

As far as I know they have to work on coding for the per-pixel HD deinterlacing on the Lumagens and it could be sometime before it is ready.

The HDCP issue has also been cleared up with PMS offering a free upgrade later this year...not that it bothers me, as I will be using SDI sources and RGBHV output.

The Lumagen is definitely a much cheaper option though so the Crystalio will have to perform well during it's stay with me but as long as it handles SD PAL sources as well as it claims to then it will be staying. Mainly as I think it has the potential to offer more in the future plus I think it is more user friendly and looks the part also.

One downside to the Crystalio is that it takes around 60 seconds to boot as it's based on an x86 processor running a variant of Linux. So if I go with it I will have to hook my Sky+ box up using s-video or something for the times when I just want to book a recording etc.

I was going to have a loan LumagenHDP also but as they are still in a beta form and I really fancy the Crystalio anyway I have opted to demo just the Crystalio.

Cheers, Lee

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Just to add. Per pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing for SD material is already available using the SIL chipset. HD film detection is not implimented yet but will be soon. This should give excellent performance on film source HD material.

The full per pixel motion adaptive de-interlacing for HD and SD using their own proprietry code is the thing that may take several months. It's icing on the cake though.

Hardware is inside all beta units for HDCP and their prorietry de-interlacing and scaling code. Beta users are not going to have to send their units away for update.

Gordon

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm getting my Lumagen ProHDP tomorrow and will be using it with a SDI RP82 dvd player, NTL (upgrading to SDI Sky+ when I move), Xbox and a Panasonic 50" 6 series plasma, with DVI & RGBHV....

I have no doubts that I'll be getting a top notch product, I didn't really contemplate the Crystalio as it was over priced (in my opinion) and the lack of true HD de-interlacing (per-pixel) could be a big factor in the very near future, even if I never use it for HD per-pixel de-interlacing myself, it will ensure it retains its value better in the second hand market than a product which can not properly handle HD material..

There are a couple of features of the Crystalio which do look interesting, namely the ethernet and usb connectors, these could if implemented well, be very cool.

On the upgradability front, it seems that the Lumagen does have the advantage, the Lumagen uses a FPGA processor which can be hardware reprogrammed, whereas the Crystalio is a Lynux based machine and therefore I'm assuming is running on a more standard PC style processor (i.e not hardware (gate) reprogrammable) surely this would give the Lumagen a bigger scope for improvements, such as introducing their own proprietary SD & HD per-pixel de-interlacing.
    Also the inputs and outputs of the Lumagen ProHDP are much better and more flexible than the Crystalio.

Anyway I'll be bring you my thoughts and findings from tomorrow onwards and it will be great to compare with Lee (loonatic) as we both have the same displays, so it should be a good comparison...

Cheers

Ryan