Crystalio is coming

cj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well I've taken the plunge and ordered a Crystalio - should be here early next week. I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

How much did it cost and is it a (final) production model?

Hi there
Glad you are excited about your purchase CJ :)

Hi Cybersoga
Crystalio SRP is around £2399. We're hoping to come in below that. CJ is being supplied a demo model until we swap it for the new cased version when it arrives in a couple of weeks.
He just couldn't wait!

We're looking forward to his thoughts - we've been running it into our Barco crt and Yamaha dlp projectors using SDI for a couple of weeks now and we're very impressed.

Cheers
Alex

Thanks Alex - you beat me to it :) The MKI case is nice, but the MKII case looks fantastic. I've waited ages for a scaler and just couldn't hang on any longer.

Hi CJ
The mk1 case actually looks and feels much better in the flesh than we expected. I'ts very solid and quite compact.
But, yes we expect the mk2 case to look even better still. The larger screen should help too although once set up, it's not really used.
What's the system it's going into?

I'll be trying it with a Tag DVD32 via its progressive (PSM192) and interlaced ouputs. Will also be interesting to see any differences using both the DVI and analogue outputs of the DVD32. The DVI output isn't all digital in the DVD32, but will be interesting to see if it makes a difference with the Crystalio doing the A->D, or the Tag.

It will be connected to a Runco CL-710 DLP via both DVI and RGB. Other sources I have to try are Sky+ via SDI, and a HiDef XBox. I also have a HTPC with a Radeon 9800 Pro + Sweetspot + DScaler + SDI capture card to compare. When I get time I can also give it a run into a Toshiba Pw16 plasma, and feed it with a cheaper DVD player (Kiss DP 508).

Excellent stuff - it sounds like you're going to have fun.
We've had fun trying the SDI modded dvd player through SDI and Component. As well as all 3 consoles, 2 other DVD players, SKY and a few other bits and peices. The SDI colours were particularly impressive!

Arrived safe and sound on Friday, but I've only just got back from a stag weekend. I did manage to get it out of the box and power it up - the interface is a breeze. Had Sky+ outputting at 1080i without even reading the manual - then I had to come to work :( Will hopefully get some more time with it tonight when the kids have gone to bed :)

How about a review CJ?

I'll do my best to do one this week - been a busy weekend :) I will tell you that I've had it on a "10 day money back" trial, but it's definitely staying :thumbsup:

how is it coming along? It is freakishly quiet in here at the moment!

ad

Yeah,

Whats going on?

Never mind the rest of your life :D

Give us a detailed report, NOW. :)

Steve

Heard on AVSforum that Crystalio is does NOT support HDCP
:lease: :lease: :lease: :suicide: :suicide: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Originally posted by mutley
Heard on AVSforum that Crystalio is does NOT support HDCP
:lease: :lease: :lease: :suicide: :suicide: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

I knew there was discussion about this because I talked asked Nelson about it..... I thought they were going to put it in to be honest. I suspect for someone spending this amount of money that it really isnt going to be too big a deal..... dvi dvd players currently arent a match for sdi ones and at the moment there really arent many dvi machines of any other variety. In any case, im sure if it turned out to be an issue, support could be added

ad

Sorry guys - 2 stag weekends in 2 weeks. Will try and give you my review later this week.

@buns can you expand on HDCP and what it means in relation to the subject of scalers. I too am looking to buy one and at these prices I don't want to make a mistake. Also are you limited to which type of DVD player can be modded for SDI and can this be applied to any other AV equipment !

HDCP is an encryption system that can be implemented with both dvi and hdmi. What it does is it stops a display showing an hdcp signal unless the display too is hdcp compatible. So if you have a non hdcp projector, you cant use it with an hdcp encryted dvd player. However, you can use an hdcp projector with a non hdcp player. Now when you put a scaler in there, if it accepts an hdcp signal, it can only output this as hdcp encrypted (i.e. you can take dvi hdcp in and output analogue RGBHV for instance). If the scaler (even if it is hdcp compatible) accepts a non hdcp dvi/hdmi signal, then it can output it as non hdcp over dvi or it could output as analogue. So basically HDCP is a great way to confuse things until it is everywhere.

At the moment, it seems the best way isnt using dvi anyhow. It is using sdi because this will be unencrypted so no worries about whether your display is compatible or such. Of course you can buy a scaler which will accomodate you if you want to possibly use an hdcp signal, that being one of the new lumagen scalers (I have one on order).

As far as what can be sdi modified, most players that someone has spent enough time researching have been modifiable. Though it does need stating that if you dont want one which has already been done, it may be very far from simple! The king in the UK is the arcam dv27 which excels in audio and video whilst the panasonic ra/rp82 is probably the next favoured and can be had below £400 (i sold mine at £300). Its a case of looking really..... as far as other things that can be done..... sky boxes, sky+, tivo I think..... if you want to find whether any specific device can be modded, Elliot at pj hifi is the best man, if he doesnt know, im sure he might have a look into it for you.

hope that clarifies things a bit!

ad

PMS are doing Denon A11 , 2900 & 2200 with SDI out now as well.

@buns Thanks for the reply ! I thinks it's always best to know the full subject before parting with your reddies ! Seems like things are changing as fast as the computer world with new models/technologies etc.

is the output resolution costumable, for the likes of a Sony HS10?

Yes the output resolution is fully customizable. It also comes with a number of pre-configured output resolutions. If you want it any easier, there is also a 'Preset Model' menu - the models in the firmware I have include the Sony HS10 :)

for those of you waiting patiently for Crystalio we are offering promotional pricing through till the end of June, for example we will modify your Sky+ V1 box to add SDI input free of charge when purchasing a Crystalio processor..contact us for more details!

cheers

I know some of you have been getting impatient, so here are my initial
impressions. It's not an in-depth technical review - I'll leave that to
those who are better qualified than me - just my experiences so far.

I do have more stuff to try out - some Avia Test patterns, Plasma hook-up
etc. and I'll add further comments when I've played some more.

I purchased the unit on a 14 day home trial from http://www.pluggedin.tv , so really had nothing to lose.

I have some quite varied kit and connections to try out, but the setup so
far has been this: -

Inputs: -
Tag Mclaren DVD32FLR + PSM192
Sky+ digital satellite (has SVideo and SDI connections)
XBox (modded + HiDef)
HTPC (Radeon 9800 Pro + Sweetspot + XCard)

Output: -
Runco CL-710 DLP projector via 10m runs of both DVI (Cobalt Cables) and
component cable (Nordost Optix) onto a Stewart Studiotek 130 Luxus Model A.

Initial setup of the Crystalio was a breeze - I was expecting something a
lot trickier. Basically, I unpacked it, plugged it in, connected my Sky+ box
(via SVideo) and switched it on. The "boot-up" takes around 60 seconds. I
then selected my screen aspect (16:9), and output resolution (1280 x 720)
and that was it. I'd not opened the manual yet - I like equipment that works
out of the box.
Next I connected the Sky+ via SDI - this required a small adjustment to the
picture position and zoom settings, but again this was achieved without
doing any reading - the interface is simple and intuitive.

The most noticeable difference for me so far is watching sports programs -
the action is smoother and appears more detailed, and the pitch markings are
now smooth lines instead of jagged.
The picture from my Tag DVD32 is stunning - it's connected via it's analogue
interlaced connections to enable the Crystalio to do the deinterlacing.
Looks like I'm going to have to start re-watching all my favourite DVDs.

I know looks aren't everything, but I have to make the point 2U case and
display is simply the best looking piece of equipment in my rack - it looks
fantastic. The remote control is a backlit, fully programmable touch-screen
model: - it even has an adjustable light sensor so you can adjust how dark
it is before the backlight comes on :)

The 'cons' for me so far is no on-screen display (although looking at that
fantastic blue LCD display makes up for it) and the 2 HD inputs have DVI and
VGA type connections - I've had to order some new cables as mine are all
RCA/BNC terminated.

In summary, it's a fantastic piece of kit that has an intuitive and
simple interface (even my girlfriend has used it!), as well as a whole host
of advanced features. I like that the fact it has Ethernet and USB
connections, and there is also a large slot on the back for "future
expansion".
I've got a whole lot more playing to do, and connection combinations and
comparisons, but there's no question of me sending it back, it's definitely staying. :D

Hi CJ,

I am seriously considering the Crystalio scaler to partner my 50" Panny PW6 and also get my Sky+ and Denon 2900 SDI modded at the same time.

I have read the specs and the manual for the Crystalio and it seems to do everything I want but just wondered what plasma you had and how you planned to connect it to the Crystalio ? and also if you had considered the iScan HD or Lumagen (or any other scalers) why you decided on the Crystalio - ignoring availability.

Cheers, Lee

PS I have to agree with you that it is one sexy looking bit of kit :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom