Crystalio II VPS3100 Vs Lumagen HDP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cocksure, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,544
    Hi, just a quick question really.
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Crystalio II VPS3100 is an improvement over the Lumagen HDP or if the differances are very small, as i would like to upgrademy lumgen but can not strech to the radance, but could pick one of these up second hand (i would have it prof calibrated).

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Lumagen Vision Pros:

Marginally better film detection (SD and HD)
    Best upscaling for SD
    Better calibration tools (y/c delay and gamma is much easier on the Lumagen)
    Can process SD from Sky HD via HDMI

Crystalio Pros:

best video mode deinterlacing (SD and HD)
    more inputs and outputs (inc BNC in/out)
    SDI

IMO Crystalio is a nice all-rounder, but Lumagen Vision will do film work better so tends to be preferred. Radiance is already totally killing Crystalio II and VP50Pro images though by doing the best in all worlds so to speak (SD and HD film and video deinterlacing, SD upscaling, HD downscaling, and calibration tools and setup convenience)

3. Barcoing Mad

Barcoing Mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Given that both bits of kit do the job well, your decider might be getting the best offer!

Looks as though Radiance is quite good.

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I'd say the decider needs to be your material myself. A "TV" user, perhaps only watching lots of big screen sport is going to lean Crystalio in this circumstance I would have thought? Dedicated theatre room at this budget level would be mad not to have a Lumagen though :devil:

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    The VPS3100 doesn't have either BNCs or SDI. The higher models do though.
    These are only going to effect a small number of new buyer though. For me, it was a nice feature on the VPS3800 as I have an analogue CRT display, analogue sources and 2 SDI sources.

Most people these days seem to be going HDMI all the way from source to screen though so ymmv.

6. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,544
    Thats the big issue for me at the moment, which is why the crystalio took my interest. Dont get me wrong, my Lumagen HDP is great, but the lack of DVI/HDMI inputs is starting to become a real issue.

When it comes to the material i watch, then i have to say 90% of it tends to be TV dramas form SD DVD (though i will be getting a few HD dramas as they come out), would i be right in saying that TV shows on DVD are Video sources not films sources?

I am also not bothered about the fact that you cant force 576i with the crystalio when it comes to sky hd, as i have virgin hd (which i have found to be quite poor after seeing hd dvd/blu-ray) so have no plans to get this.

Ideally i would love to get the radance as it seems to be the best in all areas, but alas due to a recent speaker/cd player upgrade is out of my budget.

PS thanks for all the relpys :thumbsup:

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    With Sky HD on the Crystalio you could always use component. I never rush to use HDMI personally, or to discount component as being massively inferior. It works, it doesn't have handshake problems, and it gives you the signal you want!!

Sky HD is a leap over cable for SD and HD quality though... Oh and the HDP might be going down in price. You could have two and some change for the price of a 3100.