CRYSTALIO / DVDO IScan HD Sound delays

Trevor spencer

Established Member
Reaction score
im very interested in buying a scaler for my kit (see sig)

but im worried about video delay , ive noticed the VPS-2300 dosnt have sound inputs so does this mean this scaler dosnt suffer with lip sync ???

also is the lip sync a big problem or is it bearable ? im using digital connections on all my kit apart form the DC and GC

Thanks

Hi Trevor

Lip sync tends to be a very personal thing - some people notice it more than others. Basically any video processing (including that already built in to your plasma) is actually resulting in a small delay in video versus audio. If this does turn out to be obtrusive for you then you can always add somethink like th Felston digital delay unit. As you are a hard core gamer (i presume thats an import Dreamcast you are referring to?) then you may prefer to go direct when you are playing games, using the progressive scan modes of the consoles where available to keep the sync super tight.

cheers

Hello Trevor

The Video Processors which concentrate on Video alone all have a tendency to add some form of delay to the Video signal passing through the processor - its then down to the system planner (you) to decide how best to keep Audio and Video in sync.

Some Video Processor do add more Video delay time than others - it may be you have to install a Video Processor and then see how you get on; keep in mind too you may find you want/need adjust the delay to suit the source your viewing.

Lots of AV Receivers now have Digital Audio delays in-built and the likes of the Felston DD340 and DD540 are excellent value for those who don't have this feature built in to their AV Receiver.

Its also worth considering that you may not like any of your consoles going via a Video Processor anyway - some folk tell me they don't like the 'feel' of certain games going via a Video Processor and keep the Video Processor for DVD, Digibox, Freeview etc

Best regards

Joe

Thanks for the help guys and yes dave that is an import Dreamcast , while i like the PQ on my plasma i think on certain outputs it could be better and on certain games my old CRT would blow this plasma away on PQ

also as im planning to get a xbox360 , ps3 and nintendo revolution it makes routing through the video processor and amp even more complicated :(

i think ill hook one up one day and try it out , like joe said though im probably end up just using it for my freeview and DVD player which is a shame really

What I would say is this, your plasma panel also delays the signal, it has to to, it looks at the first couple of frames or so and then decides how it is going to show the progressive image, this is just the way it works.
If you can live with it at the moment you should be OK with a processor, I have my Meridian pre/pro set for 1 frame of delay for all inputs and then an extra 6.5m/s for sky and dvd, which I guess is around 18/20ms overall. If I gi straight into the screen I have to up it for 6.5m/s to 16m/s on the processor.

The DVDO iScan HD (and believe HD+) scaler has an adjustable audio delay to overcome lip-synch issues. I have one and it works well.

Hi giz , well i dont notice any lip sync at the mo , so maybe id be ok .. ill probably get home tonight and see it now :(

i dont plan on getting sky in the future , im just gonna keep the same kit just with the extra consoles , so would a Iscan HD fit my needs or would it be wise to invest in the HD+

Trevor spencer said:
Hi giz , well i dont notice any lip sync at the mo , so maybe id be ok .. ill probably get home tonight and see it now
Unfortunately that's so true...the moment anyone mentions it you start looking for it despite yourself.

Bernard Barnett said:
Unfortunately that's so true...the moment anyone mentions it you start looking for it despite yourself.

:) Fingers crossed i dont notice it

i love all this AV stuff but it can be a total nightmare sometimes :suicide:

Hello all

Someone phoned the other day to ask if I could tell him how to spot a particular video artefact he had heard about but couldn't spot!!!

I declined :)

Joe

Joe Fernand said:
Hello all

Someone phoned the other day to ask if I could tell him how to spot a particular video artefact he had heard about but couldn't spot!!!

Joe

Excellent! :D

Joe Fernand said:
Hello all

Joe

Now that does sound stupid :suicide: :D

ive been looking at the lumagen vision pro as well , but if im reading it right this only accepts interlaced feed and ups them to progressive but if im correct things like a NTSC gamecube output progressive depending what game is being played without the option of turning the prog scan off , so i take it if you feed the lumagen a prog signal it wouldnt been able to convert it ?

is that right or am i way off ? also can the VPS-2300 convert prog scan signals ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom