1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crystalio - continued

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cj, Jul 14, 2004.

1. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    After owning one for nearly 3 months, I've had several people asking for any further thoughts on my Crystalio - I don't really have much to say as basically I've been 100% satisfied :) I've had it running both my projector and plasma, and the picture is stunning on both. After I set it up, I basically left it alone (apart from a few firmware updates).

One thing I have to mention (apart from the picture) is the user interface and setup - at the simplest level you choose your input, select an output, and choose your display model name from a predefined (and customizable) list.

That's it - you plasma or projector is now running at native resolution (if that's what you want). There are stacks of options to tweak (e.g. Noise Reduction, Black Enhancer, custom aspect ratios etc. etc.), but getting a fantastic looking picture is a simple exercise.

One of the the biggest compliments I can pay it is that Mrs. cj is confident using it - I'm yet to get a "I can't get a DVD/Sky picture" phone call.

Have I mentioned how nice it looks, and you get 2 remote controls (one dedicated, and one fully programmable touchscreen)?

The only minor niggle I have is when the Deinterlacing mode is set to Auto and I'm watching Sky Sports, it sometimes incorrectly switches to Film mode, especially during slo-mo replays. Easily avoided by manually selecting "Video" rather than "Auto", but I'm picking holes :)

I'll post more when I think of any.

Cheers,

Colin

2. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Colin :)
    Have you had chance to play with the new features on fw 3.0.0?
    Black enhancer, etc.

Re: film mode/auto mode. It's common to all the faroudja based scalers/products we've seen so far. Especially with SKY. That tell-tale blue light is proving usefull.

We've moved from a well-developed HTPC in my own home setup to Crystalio and I can't say I'm tempted to go back. Only layer changes have proved annoying (I'm just using the panasonic RP82).

The pronto ccf file's now available too so I'm back to only one remote in the house :)

Keep the feedback coming!

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Blimey, if only my Lumagen was that easy! To just chose a display model name would be a godsend if it set everything to their optimum values!

Andy

4. simonm

simonm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear CJ,

I was wondering about the fan of the Crystalio, does it blow all the time and isn't it too loud?

Tx

5. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Simon,

as far as I can tell the fan is on all the time, but I can't hear it at all in my setup - very small, and silent.

Colin

6. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Anyone tried a Crystalio (or a Lumagen with DVI) with a Sony HS10?

Is a projector upgrade more appropriate first?

Cheers
    Rob

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    By the way, what plasma and projector are you using? Are they different resolutions and what connections are you using? Presumably DVI to one and RGBHV to the other?

Cheers,
    Andy

8. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Andy, if that question is for me then my projector is a Runco CL-710 via 10m DVI, and my plasma a Toshiba WP16 (Panny 4 clone) via component.

Hi Rob,

I personally would make sure my projector was what I wanted before I bought a scaler, although I know nothing about the HS10. The Lumagens with DVI are still in Beta.

Cheers,

Colin

9. Burton

Burton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CJ

What DVD player are you using and is it SDI modified?

10. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    My player is a Tag McLaren DVD32FLR connected via component. It does also have a progressive DVI output, but I now leave those duties to the Crystalio.

11. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    "It does also have a progressive DVI output, but I now leave those duties to the Crystalio."

So does that mean colin that you may sell me your dvi output board for my DVD32FLR as i stupidly missed out on your AV32R 7.1 EX 192 BP :laugh: