Crystal Clear III

atmoscinema

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What is this Philips TV feature supposed to be,or it what way does it work?

It's just a marketing tool.

Crystal Clear III contains Dynamic Contrast and SCAVEM. Dynamic Contrast stretches bright and dark shades to increase contrast, and SCAVEM attempts to make bright images look sharper by adding bevels around the edges.

There is a version called Digital Crystal Clear, which adds an analog comb filter and an analog luminance transient processor ( LTP). The LTP is digital though in the Pixel Plus sets.

Thanks Zacabeb.

Would the Comb Filter,in Crystal Clear III,improve the images from my SVHS Video recorder and what is the resolution before and after Comb Filter,via a normal,non S-Video,Scart connection?

Crystal Clear III does not include a comb filter, although some Philips leaflets erroneously state the opposite. In some of the 100Hz sets though, the digital processing suppresses cross-color artifacts a bit. The resolution is not improved by this processing.

However, in actual moving footage I don't think there is a major difference in performance with and without comb filters on Philips 100Hz sets (on my set regular off-air TV actually gets a little sharper when I turn the comb filter off in the demo menu).

With S-video input a comb filter would be bypassed, so the absence of it in Crystal Clear III does not impair performance so long as you use S-video for your S-VHS VCR. Being a S-VHS VCR it might well have a comb filter itself, improving signal separation before recording.

Quote from Philips web-site:-

Crystal Clear™ (Crystal Clear III)
A unique package of picture innovations including combfilter, scavem, and dynamic contrast adjusment giving natural colours, high contrast and high level of details.

The description on the Philips web site is a misprint.

Although there may be sets that have both Crystal Clear III and a comb filter, it is not a standard part of the package. Most of the Philips sets do not have it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom