1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryano de Bergerac the worst DVD ever made.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Paul Reading, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought Cryano de Bergerac and it is simply awful. This recording is 4:3 and has the subtitiles butnt in. Worse than that though is the quality, it look as though someone has recorded the film off TV made 5000 copies and recorded the last one to DVD. I cannot descrbe how awful this film is. What is worse I didn't keep the reciept and it cost £19.95 inTower Records.

I haven't watched it so I am going to try and exchange it, but my advice is to stay clear. The isn't a region 1 vsrsion of this magnificent film so I am stuck. I will check in France when I am next there as their version might have real sutitles but who knows.

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Is that the Gerard Depardieu version? If so, yes I've looked at that and was a bit wary. Tartan DVD should be approached with some caution. Many have incorrect aspect ratios and burned in subtitles, but some are OK.

They also have a liking for the phrase "Presented in it's original aspect ratio" on their boxes - highly ambiguous to say the least.

"Matador" is one of their titles that I'd love but again it's a crappy transfer in all departments and I won't buy it.

If anyone comes across "proper" versions of these titles I'd be really grateful for details.

Thanks.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I've got the Tartan edition too, but a year on it's still sealed. Gutted to hear that it's that crap :(

On burnt in subtitles however, I much prefer these to player generated ones. At least they look authentic...

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes I don't mind them if they're burnt in, so long as they're burnt into the image.

I have a disc of "La Dolce Vita" which is non-anamorphic 16:9. Only problem is, they've burned the subtitles into the black bar at the bottom of the screen, so if you zoom the image to fill a widescreen set - no subtitles!

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    the same as Rocky 4 then!

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    the french version is just as bad - i was in paris month or so ago and had a look. its the same for Manon and Jean de Florette they are woeful editions.

Gary

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Without meaning to sound rude, Tartan are a) a very small company run by less than 5 people in total, and b) "Cyrano De Bergerac" was their first arthouse DVD release, if memory serves.

You are all correct though, in saying that this isn't good enough, when it's already difficult enough to buy decent quality versions of foreign material. But, Tartan have improved a lot over recent months, and hopefully if you politely e-mail them, they will respond to your queries, concerns or general complaints. I e-mailed them, when "Hard-Boiled" came out in the UK, and it was the 4:3, english-language dubbed edition, that had been cut. They e-mailed me in return, and even though I disagreed with them, they have since seen the error of their ways, by releasing the uncut, widescreen, subtitled version.

Whilst I love it when companies do get things right, and hate it when they screw up, sometimes it's not as easy or as clear-cut as taking a previous VHS version and releasing it onto DVD. Many foreign language releases, are only given very short "rights" releases. So a lot of Tartan's good quality VHS releases, can't simply be ported straight over to DVD, in the same editions.

I hope this has proved useful to some of you.

Pooch

8. Hedwig

Hedwig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD File reported this a few weeks ago:

Also new to the (MGM) studio's World Films collection...February 10th...the Gerard Depardieu interpretation of Cyrano de Bergerac...presented in non-anamorphic widescreen...original language soundtrack in Dolby 2.0 surround...there are no extras, and retail is $19.95.

Non-anamorphic, but with luck a better transfer. No confirmation on whether Anthony Burgess' translation is used.

Hope that helps.

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Certainly the subtitles in the cinema release were done by Mr Burgess - this sticks in the mind, as it's rather unusual for the subtitles to be one of the reasons the advertisers give you for seeing the film. :)

(Maybe this is why they are burned in - they didn't want to risk losing one of the selling points!)

Damn fine film, a real shame for the transfer to be as bad as you say it is.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I was sure the latest releases of these were highly regarded AV wise : don't remember which region though ( region1 possibly).

11. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I am more depressed. I am not so worried about the burnt in subtitles even though I mentioned them. You are correct if you zoom the 4:3 image of the original format film you lose some of the subtitles. Widescreen material presented in a 4:3 image is undesirable but the transfers can still be excellent take Titanic or the Abyss Special Edition, both are non-anamorphic. What really bothers me about this is the picture quality, I just can't explain how bad it really is. This film should really be a showpiece for foreign films, I love buying films from that obscure section "World cinema" it's like listening to radio 3 in the car, it makes you feel one up.

I truly resent having spent £19.95 on something this bad.