Cry Macho Movie Review & Comments

DLxP

Been looking forward to this as I normally love his films, but sounds like it'll be disappointing. I do hope he has one more up his sleeve then.

MaryWhitehouse

Did a lot happen, no. Was it good? Yes. Well worth your time.

robcat101

It was ok. I love his movies (both acting and directing), but it’s a bit of an unnecessary vanity project. Plus I just kept thinking “Be careful, Clint!”. (He’s looking very frail. He’s 90, he should be at home with a nice cup of tea, not breaking in horses and fighting banditos).

Rizvan

Really enjoyed the movie.
As mentioned above regarding his age, you can tell he’s getting towards the end of his career now in terms of action etc but he’s still a great actor.
I watched the Outpost (think that was it’s name) which stars his son Scott Eastwood, as amazing how they look so alike if you compare to Clint’s very early movies.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Cheers Cas.

It's this in a nutshell -

"Cry Macho is going to appeal to those who are completely content to merely see Eastwood in a cowboy hat again."

And I'm one of them!

PlexShaw

I'm a big fan of Eastwood's films but I thought this was pretty naff TBH.

I think it probably would have worked better with Eastwood behind the camera entirely and a veteran actor who is in the 60-70 age range in the lead to make the romantic aspects more believable. As it stands, some of it was unintentionally hilarious, like the laughable fist fight and one of the least exciting car chases in cinema history. Eduardo Minett's performance was terrible and the propensity for the plot to be verbally explained all the time was really grating.

A huge shame as I really do like Eastwood's work.

Last edited:

robcat101

I'm a big fan of Eastwood's films but I thought this was pretty naff TBH.

I think it probably would have worked better with Eastwood behind the camera entirely and a veteran actor who is in the 60-70 age range in the lead to make the romantic aspects more believable. As it stands, some of it was unintentionally hilarious, like the laughable fist fight and one of the least exciting car chases in cinema history. Eduardo Minett's performance was terrible and the propensity for the plot to be verbally explained all the time was really grating.

A huge shame as I really do like Eastwood's work.
Yes, as Cass says in his review, he’s not just “a bit old” for the role (which we could forgive a bit of Hollywood vanity for), he’s decades too old. He needed to make this 25 years ago (or use a different lead).

meep

I just couldn't get into this one at all and ended up watching the final third at x16 speed. I think I got the general gist of what was happening.

However, there was one amazing shot where Clint overnights under the stars. We see him in silhouette lay down to sleep and he ever so slowly disappears, cowboy hat last, into the shadows. A very striking and poignant image.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom