Crunch time - Panny55VT or Sammy 59D6900?

nobbydog

Established Member
Reaction score
Done the reviews, know the pro's and cons pretty well - is the Panny worth the extra £1,000? Had an SD Panny P6 since they came out and its still going strong, so the Samsung would be a bit of a leap. However, a grand is a grand, is it really worth the extra notwithstanding the comparative pro's and cons.

Thanks, I need to pull the trigger today.....

Done the reviews, know the pro's and cons pretty well - is the Panny worth the extra £1,000? Had an SD Panny P6 since they came out and its still going strong, so the Samsung would be a bit of a leap. However, a grand is a grand, is it really worth the extra notwithstanding the comparative pro's and cons.

Thanks, I need to pull the trigger today.....

If you know all the pros and cons then its a matter of which you think you could or could not live with.
For me the big decider would be the 4" bigger screen but this depends on your viewing distance.

Regards Martin

If you have any interest in watching 50Hz material you would regret the VT.

Thanks for the quick replies chaps - yes I've read about the Pannys 50Hz problem, to be fair what I dont fully understand is when would I be watching 50Hz material - what is it?

I would say if like me a grand is a reasonabel amount of money that the samsung is the wiser purchase, it also has a bigger screen.

and if you can do without the anti glare and a few other features there should be a 59d5500 on amazon warehouse for £900 as I cancelled my order last night.

Hmm, I've been reading further and it appears to be a bit grim regarding the 50Hz material (I still dont understand whether it refers to SD, HD or both??). As ever with these reviews what tends to get reported are generally problems. Footy and fast moving sport is important - if this is an issue on a £2.5k telly and less so on a bigger £1.5k telly then the decision is starting to sway to the Samsung - I dare not ask if there are any competitiors - LG etc?? (I supose I just did - sorry!).

Just buy the D6900 and pray you don't get a buzzer, if you don't you'll be in TV heaven, seriously :)

I've owned the 55VT30 and currently own the 59D6900.

Weighing up all the pros and cons I would say the VT edges it............. If they were similar in price.

In view of the £1K difference I'd take the D6900 every time (which I did), buy some brand new AV equipment with the extra cash (which I did) or take the missus away on a nice holiday (she can pay for that)!

Mine's a buzzer although I say is. I don't know if the buzz has got better over the past few months of owning the set or I've just become accustomed to it but when I first got it, I could hear it from 11 feet away with the volume at approx 15. Now whilst sitting in the same position I can mute the TV and cannot hear it!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Hmm, I've been reading further and it appears to be a bit grim regarding the 50Hz material (I still dont understand whether it refers to SD, HD or both??). As ever with these reviews what tends to get reported are generally problems. Footy and fast moving sport is important - if this is an issue on a £2.5k telly and less so on a bigger £1.5k telly then the decision is starting to sway to the Samsung - I dare not ask if there are any competitiors - LG etc?? (I supose I just did - sorry!).
The 50hz bug effects all 50hz material, SD and HD.

Thanks very much guys, the £1k stays in the pocket and the 6900 will be the one - wish me luck. Only issue now is my front left & right Kef eggs are about 6" from the edge either side of my 42" PW6. I'm gonna need to move 'em further apart to make space for the 59 incher - is there an issue with the speaker magnets affecting the plasmam screen if they get too close?

I've owned the 55VT30 and currently own the 59D6900.

Weighing up all the pros and cons I would say the VT edges it............. If they were similar in price.

What are the pros and cons sammy vs panny in your opinion?

Thanks very much guys, the £1k stays in the pocket and the 6900 will be the one - wish me luck. Only issue now is my front left & right Kef eggs are about 6" from the edge either side of my 42" PW6. I'm gonna need to move 'em further apart to make space for the 59 incher - is there an issue with the speaker magnets affecting the plasmam screen if they get too close?

Nope plasmas are immune to that effect, only affects CRT TVs

Thanks zAndy1, thats good to know. Trigger about to be pulled on the Sammy..............

Jtm79 said:
What are the pros and cons sammy vs panny in your opinion?

There's not too many in all honesty. The pros of the 55VT are that (again, purely my opinion) the PQ was just that little bit better. The build quality of the set is superior without a doubt and whilst they're both stunning sets, I love the 55VTs one sheet of glass design. The 55VT didn't buzz like the 59D6900 although my 55VT had the 'crickets' which were actually more annoying than the buzz coming from the Sammy but I think you've got a better chance of getting a cricket free 55VT than you have a buzz free 59D6900.

The pros for the 59D6900 are pretty obvious being the extra 4" screen size and £1K saving. Whilst I still go with the PQ being just that little bit better on the 55VT, the differences are minimal as are practically everything else so the two big factors are the bigger size and saving. The 55VT simply doesn't justify the difference in price but both are absolutely fantastic sets!

There's not too many in all honesty. The pros of the 55VT are that (again, purely my opinion) the PQ was just that little bit better. The build quality of the set is superior without a doubt and whilst they're both stunning sets, I love the 55VTs one sheet of glass design. The 55VT didn't buzz like the 59D6900 although my 55VT had the 'crickets' which were actually more annoying than the buzz coming from the Sammy but I think you've got a better chance of getting a cricket free 55VT than you have a buzz free 59D690

The pros for the 59D6900 are pretty obvious being the extra 4" screen size and £1K saving. Whilst I still go with the PQ being just that little bit better on the 55VT, the differences are minimal as are practically everything else so the two big factors are the bigger size and saving. The 55VT simply doesn't justify the difference in price but both are absolutely fantastic sets!

Hey Paul, i think theres a swarm of bloody Locusts in my set :rotfl::laugh:

Hey Paul, i think theres a swarm of bloody Locusts in my set :rotfl::laugh:

Oh mate is it really that bad?!

I honestly can't hear mine now, or at least I have just become accustomed to it. I'm guessing the former as I muted the TV yesterday to try and listen for it but just couldn't hear it!

So the $64,000. Given you said the PQ is better on your set, is the buzz tolerable to make the set a keeper?

Oh mate is it really that bad?!

I honestly can't hear mine now, or at least I have just become accustomed to it. I'm guessing the former as I muted the TV yesterday to try and listen for it but just couldn't hear it!

So the $64,000. Given you said the PQ is better on your set, is the buzz tolerable to make the set a keeper?

I just don't know mate, i cannot stop hearing it at the mo, 60 or 24 hz playback is tolerable especially with the surround cranked up on those Movies, Its normal TV veiwing thats the worst, If i mute the sound i can hear it even out in the Hall :rotfl:, Shame as PQ is quite something :rolleyes:.

Done it - Sammy arrives Wednesday. Blimey I'm already thinking 'what are my rights if the buzzing is too loud?'....... Going into paranoid mode already! Maybe I should just enjoy it for what it is regardless and not get too hung up looking for issues, but we're all the same here, I suppose, thats the way we are - looking for nirvana!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom