1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRTs to fit a specific sized gap. Recommendations / advice?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by theo cupier, Aug 23, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm trying to help my father who wants to replace an elderly hitachi 4:3 CRT.

His main constraint is that the TV needs to fit into a cherished wooden cabinet which has an internal cavity of 71.5cm wide x 53.5cm high (x 43cm deep).

He doesn't have an AV amp, so the TV needs to come with speakers - and ideally a Freeview tuner.

So far he's found the Panasonic TX28PN1 (note, PN1 with speakers under the screen, not side mounted not the PM1, which is mentioned occasionally on this forum) and Toshiba 28Z47B via Currys (I know, don't start on that! :D )

My main question is whether anyone on this forum knows of any other TVs which would fit within the space and provide the functionality required, or of a quicker way to find this out, other than trawling all the manufacturer web sites / wandering around Currys with a tape measure.

Obviously, if anyone is able to cut to the chase and recommend a TV which would suit this requirement, it would be much appreciated.

I know the easiest answer technically would be to do away with the cabinet, but this is not negotiable!
    Thanks in advance.

2. etaf

etaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i needed a small TV and ended up with the toshiba from Currys.
    I think the model has now been discontinued by toshiba i think - i found a few at Chichester and Crawley.
    I wont buy from comet - different story
    the size is great - and fits my small room very well - so the otherhalf is happy too.
    had to change the TV twice - 1st had a distorted sound on LH speaker and 2nd had a blurred picture.
    But this one is great

I'm a bit troubled by your size requirement

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_11196475/127401.html
    Depth 49.5 cm
    Width 68.0 cm
    Height 50.8 cm

so its a bit deeper than the spec you provided

Also its only an analogue tuner but I purchased a FVRT200 tuner/recorder at the same time.

Note the currys price of £329.99 - if you question that price, you will find they will do a toshiba DVD worth 49.99 free at that price.

i was also advised about the TX28PN1 model {does have a digital tuner} when speaking to JohnLewis but the sizes where to big for me

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/pro...descreen+Televisions/Panasonic/TX28PN1/622701

Height (exc Stand) 487 mm
    Width 529 mm {not sure this is correct - wont get 28" in a width that size :) }
    Depth 698 mm

so again the depth well over you size.

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Thanks for this, etaf. I think the Toshiba is about the only other model I've found too. The irony is that the room it will be in is a very big room (easily 10m x 8m) but the cabinet must stay!

If it was me, I'd be buying a 50in plasma, and using the cabinet for the amp & DVD player but it's not...