CRT's and Video games

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PaulMathers, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulMathers

PaulMathers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to use my CRT projector with my Xbox - How real are the dangers of screen burn when playing video games - I'm not into several hours of game play daily but would like to use it for a couple of hours maybe once a week. Are there any precautions I should take?

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Don't leave it on a menu for long periods of time.

You want to avoid static images being onscreen for long periods of time.

Make sure you put pillows around you so that if you feel sick and topple over you wont be hurt.

3. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a gamecube with my CRT and I havn't experienced any problems with screen burn. I do recommend some precautions.
    The main problems with games are the constant graffics that remain in the same place through out the entire game. There usually in the corners of the screen.
    I would recommend that you adjust the contrast and brightness on your projector and reduce them slightly. Try not to play for exstended periods.
    If you stick to these rules you should be able to enjoy your xbox
    with out causing damage to the tubes.

popeye
    :D

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'd recommend using an S-Video connection, a capture card (Pinnacle PCTV Rage or IDS Falson) and Dscaler software.

This has an orbit (and bounce?) feature, which slowly moves the picture around on-screen. No stationery picture=no burn-in.

Playstation2, S-video lead, IDS Falcon and Dscaler adaptive noise filter = absolutely no noticeable noise to my eyes. 1440x864 100Hz progressive, scaled Gran Tourismo3 is an absolute joy. I don't think even a 480p component connection will look as good.

This feature also is an expensive hardware option on some Barco CRT's, according to the 808s manual.

Are S-Video connectors available for the X-box and Gamecubes
    regards,
    Rob.

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Bizzarely, the UK cubes don't support it. They support RGB instead. There will probably be a mod for it but for now they've decided that euro=scart=rgb or composite.

My US gamecube supports s-video and there is an rgb mod available.

The X-box supports composite, s, component but I don't know about rgb (probably does)

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    That's surprising. Am I right in thinking the US cube can play UK games?

I looked into getting an S-video cable for a Dreamcast (Ferrari 355 Challenge, for when I'm not playing Gran Tourismo3!). It seems it supports it (and VGA output???), but the market is not there for the cables anymore.

I had to get the Playstation2 S-video cable mail-order from amazon.co.uk, as no shops seemed to carry it. RGB component thru scart works with a huge % of domestic tellies and gives a slightly better (un-scaled) picture.

Probably the only reason manufacturers have a significant market for S-Video cables is for un-educated buyers, or those that want to temporarily use "the little round socket on the front of the tv" or those degrading picture by passing a console via an AV amp (myself included usually!).

cheers,
    rob.

7. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Gamecube comes with a composite video cable, which I feed into my AV amp with the normal audio phono cable. The signal is then processed by a Silicon Image Iscan Pro and fed to the CRT.
    It works quite well, however I think as usual in Europe we get a bum deal as our American friends have the S video option.

I bought a Nintendo RGB scart cable, which I use for connecting the console to my television. In Pal 60 the picture really comes to life and the game play is smoother and doesn't slow down.

I have ordered a component video cable from www.lik-sang.com, which I'll use to connect the Gamecube to the projector, which should make a big difference.

popeye
    :)

8. marqueedehome

marqueedehome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used my Dreamcast through a vga-box with my Electrohome Marquee 8500 for 2 years and no burns. The picture quality is unbelieveable good. I recommend everybody trying Samba de Amigo or Virtual Tennis with 2,5 m wide screen.

marquuedehome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.