1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crt Wonabee!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by garyc, May 30, 2003.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I'm hoping to join you guys in the CRT world, but I know next to nothing about projectors!!!

so apologies for the newbie questions:-

I have a dvd player that can output a progressive signal (PAL/NTSC) should i be looking for a proj that can take this component prog signal direct or would I be better going through a line doubler ie. iscan or quadscan pro?

Can anyone offer any idea of prices for 2nd hand seleco 400 or 500 (as example) and are the tubes expensive to get replaced OR what other proj should i be looking at?

Do CRT's require a professional to set up?

Sorry again for the novice questions

Cheers

Gary

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice. Nicer PQ than all other display types!

You need to find out whether or not your projector will accept progressive scan - I think 31.5khz horizontally.

Tubes are quite expensive, at least £1000 each. However if the tubes have got a low mileage, say 500 hours or less then I see no problem. Just make sure it's had a service with a few months guarantee.

If I remember correctly Seleco's have a white line at the top of the image, it's a bit distracting. They're OK PJ's, but there are better makes out there.

Are you technically minded? If not then yes they need to be setup by an installer.

However since I'm a cleaver sod I learnt within the space of a 2 hours how to setup one (with no experience before hand)~

What is your budget?

Check here and see what's available - try and get a newer PJ, rather than a run-down 5000+ hours with old worn out tubes.

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/projectors.htm

If you decide to install the PJ yourself- the easiest method is coffee table or behind-your back on a high chest of drawers type.

When you switch it on- it'll look 3D effect like this..

http://www.earthsci.gla.ac.uk/facil...age/image29.gif

So what needs doing is angling the blue & red tubes (not the lenses) to align up with the green. Also the screen (electron gun hitting the crt) adjustment pot and lens (optical section) need to be adjusted to focus the grid equally up. Then you've got pincushion, trapezoid to correct. And if you're unlucky (takes some time) Schelmpluge - one side is more out of focus then the other. Then finally convergence - fine tuning the blue & red to match up exactly.

Oh the gubbins of PJ's can kill (very high voltages) so be v. careful.

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally posted by nathan_silly [/i]
    There's a modification for this, costs about 100 squids.

Just what kind of butcher are you? :D

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,969
    There should be nothing wrong with a machine that has a few thousand hours on the clock, as long as it has been run correctly and well installed. If you can chek the tubes then do so, and look for burn marks. My Barco cost me £600 has 6,000hrs on it, and very light burn, so light you cant see it. Best £600 i ever spent as I have had two years regualr use from it with no major hassles.

Talk to Gordon or Roland on this site, they will give you great advice and can even help out with stock, install etc.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Gary I'm not far from you in Reading come over an have look at what CRT can do, no presure honest.

CRT's on some of the big projectors can run as high as £100 but on a Seleco recon more like £300.

Run time on a projector over a year to two years old is irelevant ignore it, tube condition is king. It is possible with miss use to ruin a set of tubes in 48hrs
    Also a projector that has stood idol for long peroids will be far less relaible than one that been worked. I would expect to see at least a 1000 hours for every year for a noice reliable machine. Most CRT's will run for about 20-30,000 hours before major components start to go but far less if they have long periods of shelf time.

6. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As they say in the car trade Roland; "If a car has a 'silly' low milage on it....why has it?"

7. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanx Guys for all your advise.

Roland - I would like to take u up on your offer of a little "no pressure " demo if thats still ok?

Please Pm me details to arrange or email (you should have my email from a few days ago)

cheers

Gary

8. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Roland - as someone else about to enter the world of CRT I'd also be interested in a demo. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers
    v.f.

9. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I am selling a Sim2 SVD500 if you're interested.
    Set up by Chris Frost no less.
    Ad on classifieds forum.;)

10. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Edgeyboy - thanks for the heads up on your sim2 crt sale, sorry but its a little outside my price bracket, but good luck with your sale.

cheer

Gary