1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT with home cinema PC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyFov, May 25, 2004.

1. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've spent the best part of a day trying to fathom this one out.

I have a NEC 9PG, and I have that connected to an old 850mhz Athlon, it's running powerstrip with a Nvidia MX440 card. The motherboard didn't like the Radeon I bought, so I had to swap with my other machine.

I bought a Wintv Nova-T freeview card, and that came bundled with WinDVD4. I figured install would be relatively easy, but in practice it's turning out to be a right sod. I currently have the PC outputting a 1080x720p signal, and had to use Powerstrip to squish the image down to a 16:9 format, as despite the widescreen format, it was still showing on the monitor as fullscreen.

Before I waste too much time getting this wrong, I'm just keen to know how other HCPC users have their machines configured. How many resolutions do you use... I'm looking for good ideas, as I seem to have few of my own at the minute.

TIA

Andy

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Andy,

Probably not a lot of use, but I run 1280x 720 for all NTSC sources & 1365 x768 for PAL ( Barco1609s) using powerstrip. I've tried the many other resolutions used, but find there work fine for me.

Most projectors seem to have a range in which they work best, so if you can keep whatever resolutions you're using within a fairly close scanning frequency, this should help.

Good luck.

3. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ok, thanks for that... I've got the thing going, and am most impressed with the results so far. The only thing I'm yet to do yet is fiddle with any of the yokes - I've not plucked up courage. Focus could be a lot better, but I've done a decentish job of convergence and geometry, even if I did cheat and use the point controls.

[​IMG]

Even if the install is a bit unprofessional !!!

http://www.sea-cliff.co.uk/crt.jpg

Those breeze blocks are temporary I'd like to stress! :blush:

One problem, the colours seem a bit too dark and reddish. I can get something loosely acceptable by turning brightness to 90% but for the sake of the tubes I'd rather not. I think the root of the problem is with the HCPC, the worktop itself seems fine - it's just the overlay which needs adjusting. I'm yet to find a way of tweaking it. Any ideas?

TIA

Andy

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Andy, so you decided to try the pc route as previously discussed, a wise first step I would think. If you remember I'm the one with a sub standard pc and no crt projector.

I beleive the image on your monitor is still likely to be fullscreen as it is your projector which should be performing the anamorphic vertical squeeze. If you squeeze it on your pc first it will be getting squashed twice and you will end up with a distorted pic on your crt and less vertical resolution. As long as the pic on your crt isn't distorted then I think that should be fine.

So what's the problem - are you getting an image on your crt? What's it like for dvd as opposed to freeview? How is it connected to the pc? What I would suggest is starting with a much lower resolution like 800x600p and then building up from there. You've got to experiment, if you can get it working with a lower res (with which your pj should have less work) then it should prove that your pj/pc/connection method is ok.

A few more detail perhaps?

Simon

5. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Simon...

TBH I don't really have a clue what's going on in Powerstrip. I've just fiddled with it till I found something that worked. I'm ouputting 1280x720p, but initially didn't have enough adjustment in the projector to quash that down to the correct geometry. I tweaked the advance timing settings in powerstrip to correct that, then adjusted accordingly on the pj.

My last projector, a Seleco, had a setting where you could tell the memory banks that the signal is widescreen and it'd do the squashdown accordingly. I don't know whether I'm missing something, but the NEC doesn't have that.

It's working, and that's all that matters at the minute. I've got some serious tidying up to do, and then I'll worry about refinements. I'm sure my achievements so far are tiny when compared to what our resident pro installers are capable of, but for now I'm just happy that I've got as far as I have.

As for connections, I have a 10m standard VGA lead, married to a cheap 2m RGBHV breakout lead. It's nothing special, but it works.

Andy

6. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sounds like your on the right track. From your first post it sounded like your prospecst were more dismal. If you've got a picture that's stable whatever resolution then that's great and RGBHV would seem like the way to go. Probably takes a while to get to grips with the ins and outs of powerstrip but I beleive it's a powerful tool and therefore takes a bit of learning/experimenting.

Don't know about the tech specs of the NEC and how it deals with the anamorphic squeeze but I'm sure someone does. Perhaps Roland or Gordon. If you know the bandwidth of your pj then this should go some way to determining what sort of resolutions your pj is capable of taking (but not necessarily resolving) from powerstrip. A bit of mental arithmetic involved. As to what gives optimum performance you need to speak to some NEC owners.

As long as your enjoying the learning experience then tis but a matter of time and I'll be able to pick your brains when I get my setup together ;)

All the best,

Simon