• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CRT with DVD or upscaled to LED/LCD

rmg1973

Standard Member
I have a Loewe Mimo CRT connected component to my Denon 2900 dvd player.
For just dvd use would the image upscaled by a modern flatscreen beat my current icture.
I'm forever hearing that CRT still best for SD DVD.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Thats a 7 year old DVD player...! In which case I agree with the previous poster. And whilst the CRT is a good one its still based on a Philips Tube (as virtually all other major brand TV's were) and is probably begining to get tired

However I went from an early Philips DVD player feeding a 28" Philips Matchline CRT.... about 2- 3 years ago to a Sony (actually made by Pioneer) DVDR connected at 1080p via HDMI to a 37" Panasonic 1080 LCD ....astonishing.....new world ....no comparison!

PS dont get the current Sony DVDR range they are apparently awful badged products from other manufacturers.

TWH

Standard Member
Personally I'd stick with what you've got, assuming it's connected via component so you're getting 576p? Otherwise you're introducing upscaling which ill never ever be perfect, so the image will never be quite as good, and a top CRT set is still better than any LCD or Plasma for SD content.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom