1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT vs Rear Projection CRT

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Bluelaser, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :)

I am just wondering what the difference is between CRT tv's and CRT Rear Projection Tv's in the following ways:

- Sharpness of Picture
    - Vibrance of Colours
    - Richness + Range of Colours
    - Overall Quality of picture
    - Reality of Picture
    - Brightness of Picture
    - (Anything else relivant, Viewing angle etc...)

Say for example a 36" Crt vs a 42"/44" Crt rear projection.

2. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody?

3. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's kinda like trying to compare a bus to a car without saying which make/size of car, or make of which bus.

In general, the very best PRTV's fall just short on PQ from the very best direct view CRT's. Just bear in mind as the image gets bigger it also degrades.

This said a well setup 42" PRTV can put a 36" direct view to shame. From my experience bigger DV set's seem to have issue with geometry that can't be corrected in the same way that most PRTV's let you.

To answer part of your question more directly, direct view CRT’s have a much better viewing angle than RPTV’s however unless you levitate whilst watching TV it won’t really cause you any problems.

4. Bluelaser

Bluelaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. For standard digital tv channels on sky, what is the biggest tv you recommend, bearing in mind I receive 100% quality and 100% signal strength on a 1.1m dish:
    (Not to show noticable pixelisation, distortions etc.?

5. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it differs between each channel. You will find the like of sky movies scale up much better than channels like flaunt, magic etc.

on my 42" RPTV I can see some nasties on the later. All the main channels, BBC, ITV, Sky etc look fantastic. This said, those that are not so good are still fully watchable