1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT vs NEC 1000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog, Oct 2, 2003.

1. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just brought a gigantic Barco 801 from b4 projections for an absurd £700! I simply bought it as a back up to my NEC 1000HT which was giving me some problems,

But I am astounded by the superior picture of the CRT.

Perhaps the most important advantange is resolution. I can make the picture much bigger. This is very important for 2.35:1 picture. I can make the screen 7--8 foot wide (not diaganal!) with good resolution. I found that with my NEC I cannot really go beyond 5 feet and resolution is noticeably lost after 4.5 feet for 2.35:1 material. In fact I have been frustrated with the quality of the widescreen stuff on the NEC (but I was very happy with 16.9 and 4.3 stuff which is quite awesome)

Contrast, colour and picture are also better but not that much better.

Of course the drawback is garganteum size and inflexibilty (70kg) so it is clearly not suited to some homes (although the thow distance is much shorter then the NEC 1000 - it gives almost a 1:1 distance to picture width ratio!!!)

I have set up my Barco for wide screen projections. I will use that with most movies. I will use my NEC for 4.3 material and TV.

I think that with DVD players offering PAL progressive scan you might want to consider the second hand CRT option. It is cheaper and better quality.

Had I known the advantages of the CRT and how cheap it was I think I would not have got my NEC1000. I would have used my CRT as a stop gap until the widescreen XVGA projectors fall within my price range of £2000-3000.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
  3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Nooooooooo.......

See the light, follow the light!!!!!!

( :D If size and tweaking aren't a problem then I don't blame you but I'd still rather my DLP with DVI :) )

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Flameproof suits on, please !!

No one can argue the performance of CRT against LCD :)grin: ) or DLP in terms of black levels, and the arguments about convenience vs. the need/benefits of appropriate calibration, is a given. the size issue is not one of concern for me - dedicated movie room, CRT is on my "upgrade radar".

However I have difficulty understanding the following :

Needless to say, this must be an issue of personal preference - having seen the HT1000 at 7'wide, I didn't consider the resolution issue to be relevant; the picture performance was simply stunning.

Just as well we don't all agree about everything..................... imagine how boring it would be !!

All the best,

Sean G.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Sean,

I think you'll find comments like the one you object to are relevant to viewing distance.....You can sit MUCH closer to a CRT(scaled) image than a DLP/LCD before you start to see processing artifacts

Gordon

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gordon,

No argument there.................... being now close to the bottom of the food-chain in resolution terms, seating distance is a criticality I'm only too aware of !!:D BTW, not really an objection, as such......... just a little puzzled. At the end of the day, someone with a NEC and a 708 in their install is in the ultimate position to pronounce on their own findings !

The NEC I've seen benefitted from a screen width reduction from 8 - 7/7.5 ft, imo, sitting around 12'away................ I don't have a problem with this seating distance from a 7' screen - feels "normal" to me I guess.

This is a horrible hobby, really. CRT keeps beckoning........ :blush:

All the best,

Sean.

7. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is really in 2.35:1 the CRT really shines. I have been frustrated with the performance of my NEC for wide screen. I cannot make the picture big enough to enjoy the full cinema experience without an unacceptable loss in resolution.

No such complaint with the CRT.

The other advantages are not so important to me and I would probably choose a good widescreen DLP over a CRT if the price was right.

As I said before Barco is a stop gap until wide screen DLP fall in price!!!

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If the Sharp Z10k falls like the Z9k did when the new model came out then you may want to go take a peep :)

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With 2.35:1 material, the HT1000 = 325 horizontal "lines". HS10 for example = 435 horizontal lines.

This was/is the only area in which the HT1000 was/is shortcoming. Comparing CRT to either LCD or DLP isn't really fair. Each have their respective pros & cons.

Fabulous projector though & an absolute steal at current pricing (i.e. ex-demo).

:smoke: