CRT vs LCD, HD-TV, PLASME, REAR PRO

ismael-1986

Established Member
Reaction score
Im just very interested in what people prefere cos i still prefere the good old trusty CRT and think its still better to any crappy lcd tv's, exspecialy when it comes to real time video, wadda u all think out there...............crt or the others

Depends what you mean by "better" ?

Sure, LCD's and plasma's have their drawbacks, but so do CRT's, and (for me) the drawbacks of CRT's are worse than any of the drawbacks of the others.

Things like:

• Poor picture geometry
  • Poor convergeance at the picture edges
  • Poor focus at the picture edges
  • Flicker (on 50Hz sets)
  • The sheer bloomin' size of them !
  • Changes in picture size with brightness (blooming)

I have a plasma in the lounge, and a LCD TV in the dining room. I wouldn't swap either of them for a CRT model :cool:

I'm very much in the CRT camp – I have yet to see any LCD, plasma etc. (I haven't seen HD) that comes even close to the PQ of CRTs, IMO.

As Nick_UK says, they all have their pro's and con's, so it seems to come down to what an individual finds most appealing, or more annoying, regarding the respective good/bad points.

Having said that, I firmly believe that modern CRTs are crap compared to sets of even 10 years ago, never mind older products! Sadly, this seems to be a ‘feature' of modern consumer products in general :( :( :(

To be honest, I don't think you're going to find any CRT TV's in the shops in 5 years time, unless the Samsung "Slim" range of CRT TV's make an appearance here. Try finding a 15" CRT computer monitor - they've all but disappeared, and the other sizes will follow before too long. TV's will follow the same route.

Struan said:
Having said that, I firmly believe that modern CRTs are crap compared to sets of even 10 years ago, never mind older products! Sadly, this seems to be a ‘feature’ of modern consumer products in general :( :( :(

Possibly not "crap" but certainly in many cases, not as good. The main reason for this is of course price. 20 years ago, I paid £400 for a Sony KV-2022 20" Remote Control TV. Today, 20 years on, you can get something similar for under half that, not even allowing for inflation. Manufacturers (I work for one) are capable of building superb sets but quality costs, and most people are now conditioned into paying rock bottom prices.

I was speaking to my local AV shop and they state that about 90% of their TV sales are for flat telly's - LCD (& some plasma). They're selling off their CRT's and dont expect to be able to order many of the current ranges for much longer. Unfortunately it looks like CRT's are going the way of the dodo. No chance of that 36" HD CRT i was waiting for then...

There are new flat/slim CRT-like technologies that knock the socks of the LCD/plasma thinnies, but they're all still in development and cost serious cash. They don't require backlights and have the same good qualities of CRT without the mojority of the downsides (as they are 'cell' based rather than tube based). Could be a decade before they're in the high street at normal prices tho :*(

It took ages for LCD to get established and move from PC's to TV's, lets hope the new technologies (cant remember the names, the article was in What HiFi/AV/TV/gynacologist monthly) get there quicker. I guess HD LCD will have to do when i'm finally forced over to the dark side by lack of choice. :D

Brim.

Brimstone said:
I was speaking to my local AV shop and they state that about 90% of their TV sales are for flat telly's - LCD (& some plasma). They're selling off their CRT's and dont expect to be able to order many of the current ranges for much longer. Unfortunately it looks like CRT's are going the way of the dodo. No chance of that 36" HD CRT i was waiting for then...

There are new flat/slim CRT-like technologies that knock the socks of the LCD/plasma thinnies, but they're all still in development and cost serious cash. They don't require backlights and have the same good qualities of CRT without the mojority of the downsides (as they are 'cell' based rather than tube based). Could be a decade before they're in the high street at normal prices tho :*(

It took ages for LCD to get established and move from PC's to TV's, lets hope the new technologies (cant remember the names, the article was in What HiFi/AV/TV/gynacologist monthly) get there quicker. I guess HD LCD will have to do when i'm finally forced over to the dark side by lack of choice. :D

Brim.

ok there are obviously ups n downs about CRT'S but i have a sony trinitron from 1986 and its still going gr8 NEVER HAS ANY TUBE PROBLEMS i spose its cos of the trinitron apature grille

Tomonobu Itagaki (Team Ninja leader) states regarding Xbox360 and HD gaming:

With the inclusion of HD cables as standard, Itagaki hopes that people will end up making the move to HDTV. He suggests standard CRT over other types, devoting a lengthy rant to his displeasure with LCD televisions. Itagaki states that Team Ninja has "flagship class" LCD televisions throughout its offices, and he's not impressed with any of them. The problem, he states, isn't so much with response time, but with inaccurate color. Combine that with the high prices, and he comes to the conclusion: "buying a CRT is, as a gamer, a wise choice.

Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/654/654965p1.html

I tend to agree with him (I've always preferred CRTs to LCD anyway) but of course acknowledge the points Nick_UK has put across but IMO the benefits of CRT over LCD outweigh the disadvantages of CRT over LCD.

Nick_UK said:
I have a plasma in the lounge, and a LCD TV in the dining room. I wouldn't swap either of them for a CRT model.
We have a plasma in the lounge, but it hides behind the sofa in disgrace and we choose to watch the CRT TV. I agree with some of the comments about TVs not getting better. We used to have a big old Philips 29" 4:3 TV that had no 100 Hz or noise filtering or dynamic black or resolution enhancement or anything like that, and it had the best picture ever. It got old and blew up though. Internal digital signal processing always seems to make the picture worse.

Nick

GaryB said:
Possibly not "crap" but certainly in many cases, not as good. The main reason for this is of course price. ...quality costs, and most people are now conditioned into paying rock bottom prices.
Absolutely bang on.

Until recently I also used to work for a manufacturer. Like most decent manufacturers my company produced a Good - Better - Best in the model ranges. But when sitting with a retailer doing their range selection most of the time they just wanted to concentrate on the cheapest models.

Brimstone said:
I was speaking to my local AV shop and they state that about 90% of their TV sales are for flat telly's - LCD (& some plasma). They're selling off their CRT's and dont expect to be able to order many of the current ranges for much longer.
One other reason why CRT devices are being phased out is due to some new Waste Disposal regulations called the WEEE Directive. It's about how we dispose of product at the end of its life. CRT screens contain some very toxic substances and are difficult/expensive to recycle. When the WEEE Directive comes in the burden of cost for dealing with old TVs will fall on the shoulders of the manufacturers.

There are propsals to split the bill for disposing of old sets according to who is selling the most CRT today. Those mfctrs still selling lots of CRT like Alba Bush Wharfedale Beko Orion etc are going to find themselve with a large chunk of the bill. Ultimately the cost is going to get passed back to the consumers.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom