1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT vs LCD - choices choices... help!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by SKH, Dec 7, 2004.

1. SKH

SKH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm hoping you can all help me make up my mind! I've read some of the threads on this forum with interest but I'm getting confused!

In a nutshell, I am looking to buy a new TV (32 inches)... budget is strictly around £1200 MAX. I've dismissed Plasma as its still relatively expensive for a decent screen. I had set my heart upon the Toshiba picture frame 3 and then the trouble started... with the prices on LCDs plummeting... I began reading about LCDs... I'd changed my mind and decided LCD was the way to go... looking at the Toshiba 30WL46. However, I'm now reading about imminent problems with pixel dropouts... dark colours... motion blur... HELP!

Picture quality will be of upmost importance to me. I would be looking to take advantage of component video connections. I'd be watching lots of Sky and lots of movie DVDs... lots of action scenes. Oh yes I have 2 young children so they would be watching Shrek... and Shrek2 and Shrek... etc.!

Having walked into a Comet superstore the other day, I managed to see Troy playing on a LCD tv and the Toshiba Picture frame one... I could have sworn the picture quality was better on the CRT TV?

So come on people, what's the honest 'low down'? Which one is it?

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

2. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    For pure picture quality - the CRT will be better especially the Toshiba picture frame . However your choice is really do you want to future proof and use less space ? If you buy LCD you will be making huge space savings , not to mention weight. Also with Sky launching HD (high definition) in 2006 the LCD will come into its own . Feed an LCD with a High definition picture (dvd or otherwise) and you will notice the difference

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Depends if you get a CRT that works.

My Panasonic PD30 was crap.

And my new Sharp 32" LCD is better than any CRT I've ever owned.

Sounds pretty good as well!

4. rob27

rob27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am having the same problem... crt or lcd !

Can you get a lcd with Component input as well as that hdtv input what ever its called ??

5. SKH

SKH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The few replies I've received are helpful and valued... but I'd really like to know more about these dead pixels... they seem to be quite a common feature! How/Why do they come up? I know some people on the forum say they live with them but I know it would annoy the **** out of me!!! I've got one on my monitor at home and my eyes are constantly drawn to the ******* (fill in as you feel fit!)!

With regards to the component video and HDMi or DVI, I beleive you can have LCDs with both (I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!)!

I'm still drawn to the Tosh CRT PF3. It seems to be getting so many positive reviews. This weekend will be the 'crunch'... I'll visit another showroom and hopefully make up my mind... it's still 50 - 50 right now...

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

6. Krazzy_saint

Krazzy_saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well SKH, hopefully I can be a little more help. I am no expert on the eather CRT or LCD. But I have done my homework. I have a Sony KP65WS510 CRT which I baught last January. I loved it at the time. Well it started to go bad on me. The twin view was going bad on it. Sony tried to fix but could not so they said they would replace it. Well they dont make this TV anymore. So they said which TV would I like for a replacement. Of course I would have to pay some of the difference which I was hot about. So I started looking into LCD's. They are by hands down better. Maybe there blacks are not as good as CRT but you can not even tell. I went to BEST BUY to look at what LCD I wanted to buy and fell in love with the New KDF60XS955. Let me tell you that this TV blows my old one away in everything. Plus it is only 113 pounds compared to my CRT which was 300 pounds. With technology improving everyday LCD's have come a long way. One of the reasons I like this model so much are the connections in the back. 2 HDMI connectors. Do not go with DVI they are getting rid of them. They are the beta of connectors. Well hopefully this helped. Maybe you should do some reading on the 2 before you purchase. But I bet once you get familiar with the 2 you will buy the LCD.

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Unfortunately in the UK we have little choice. Most displays don't even have DVI let alone one or even two HDMI connectors. Its a sad state living in a country where people thought that HDCP was invented last week and not four years ago. But then I guess that over the pond, you are the beta testers for us.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,081
    CRTs produce the best picture.

Unless you have a dislike for poor geometry, poor convergence, poor stability, and colour staining. All of these things (and more) are likely (but not guaranteed) to affect any large screen CRT television. But, it will have more contrast........ None of these things can affect an LCD.

LCDs:

Motion blur... Some people notice it. Some people invent it. For newer LCD screens, most will not see it. You can only work this out for yourself.

Grey blacks... every new model improves on this aspect, so the "issue" becomes more an historic factor with each new generation. LCDs look at their best when viewed with some ambient light. The greyness of black shows up more when viewed in darkness. Again, you can only decide for yourself.

Pixel death... rarer than some would have you believe. And very rare (no - I didn't say "never") for them to fail during use. Buy your LCD from a real retailer where you can try yours out before you buy - or from somewhere with an enlightened returns policy (I recommend John Lewis).

When evaluating for yourself, do so from a realistic viewing distance. Get too close to any type of screen and you'll see artefacts that are not seen at sensible distances.

Try to see the screen being used as you will use it. Which doesn't include an analog RF signal from a poor aerial shared with 52 other TVs via an ageing distribution amp, connected by an imbecile.

Oh.....and bear in mind that a 30 inch LCD is the same visible size as a 32 inch CRT.

9. jimr

jimr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sandjeev

Have a look at the Hitachi 32PD5200 32" Plasma, can be had for £1300 if you shop around, if you're not using it for a computer monitor should be fine. If nothing else it's a good picture benchmark to judge CRT's or LCD's by.

10. SKH

SKH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All that replied,

I appreciate all your input - thanks for this. In the end, I'm afraid I 'sold out' and opted for the CRT - Toshiba 32ZP48. I still couldn't bare the thought of spending that kind of money and finding a dead pixel (or more) one morning on my pride and joy. I've seen lots of evidence on this very forum to suggest that these problems are apparent. As petty as it may sound, I am sticking to the tried and trusted technology for the time being at least.

I'll still be considering a smaller LCD for our bedroom!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sanjeev :blush: