1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT vs. HD2+ DLP screenshots

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gizlaroc, Jun 5, 2004.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    A few people asked me to take some screenshots when I switched from CRT to a DLP, and I have not really had the time yet and at first the DLP was not worth taking any shots of tbh.

Anyway after tweaking it a little I decided to take one of a shot I already had from the CRT, not exactly the same frame but the same scene.

I will add more as and when I get time.

same camera, exactly the same settings, crt fed with panny rp82 into a lumagen scaler at triple and the dlp is fed with the same rp82 dvd and the BenQ is doing teh sacling to its native rate which is again triple.

CRT
    [​IMG]

DLP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    looks like one is calibrated somewhat differently to the other.....

ad

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I know it is difficult but it would be helpful if it was the same shot. Although the 2nd pic looks a lot better over all the highlight detail is blown out (look at the hair on the right).

OMG 1000 posts! :D

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I will try and do the same shot exactly later, funny you say the second one looks better, I would disagree.

The camera is set up manually so it is taking in the info it is seeing in the same way, but I have only set the projectors up using avia and fifth element by eye.
    There is a very fine line between the very brightest whites being crushed or not on the DLP even using the service menu.

I did not realise how much brighter the image was until I posted these pictures last night, looking at these screen shots it seems the CRT is too dull, but that was never the case.

I will knock down the white level a tad and re take the photo, oh and try and get the same frame too this time.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would have favoured the first image also. The second looks un-natural in colour and there is that shiny kind of an edge to the picture, it looks enhanced (although I know it isnt :))

ad

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Just looking at the properties of the pictures I had the shutter speed at 1/4 on the crt and 1/6th of a second on the DLP. I will have to make sure that I set the camera for 1/4 second when I re take them.

I know what you mean Ad about looking enhanced, on the DLP settings I had filters on +1 and sharpness on +1 but I think I got a more natural picture before with sharpness on +2 and filters on 0, so I will re try that too.

Problem is you soon get accustomed to the way an image looks, it is quite good for me to see how much darker the image was with crt, because I know how muched I enjoyed it, so maybe I can knock the white level down a fair bit and soon get used to it.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Re took the first pic using the same frame as the crt, well as close as I could get from memory, and added a couple more :)

Just sold the unit, but anyone looking for a dlp for under £5k should definitely spend a bit of time with one of these :smashin: