1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT vs DLP via HDMI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by timothywood, Dec 28, 2004.

1. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect this is one of those discussions that in the end comes down to personal choice. However I am going to throw it into the ring anyway as I can't make a comparison at any nearby dealers.

Currently have Sharp XV-Z90E DLP fed component from Harmon Kardon DVD25 (prog scan). Thinking now of upgrading as purpose built room now finished. Considering INfocus 5700, 7205 and HDMI feed via Denon/Pioneer.

Firstly how do you think CRT picture is likely to compare ? I assume CRT's cannot take HDMI/DVI signal or have I got this totally wrong ?

Assume we are talking around £2500 for DLP and say £3000-£3500 for a decent re-con CRT and line doubler ? (Likely source - Roland @ B4!! as I think ebay is too risky for CRT's ?)

Thanks

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tim

As you say 'personal choice', if it helps to make your mind up, I have a Barco Graphics 808 CRT projecting onto a Da-Lite High Power fixed screen in a dedicated room, you're more than welcome to pop over with your Sharp if you want to do a comparison with a CRT. Source is a Meridian G98 with a Faroudja NRS scaler outputting at 768p, can demo with a HTPC as well.

3. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer, may well take you up on this. I am a bit of a novice is 768p the definition ? Does this compare with HDMI or am I getting things totally screwed up !

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, it's the resolution, 768 lines of vertical resolution, the 'p' is for progressive scan. HDMI is a connector/protocol for carrying signals, which could carry 768p but more normally carries 720p.

I'm not wishing to push you in one direction or another but if you decide to go down the CRT route I will shortly have a spare Sony VPH-D50HT CRT projector with only around 270 hours use and a Faroudja DVP2200 Digital Video processor which I'm buying as part of a package in the classifieds forum that may be of interest.

5. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think an important point is this.
    For a digital to truly do 1080i(HIDEF.) without internal upscaling it needs a panel capable of a resolution of 1920 x 1080i.
    The only sensible priced digital capable of that is the JVC HD2K.(Which costs 15k ish..)
    Now with crt,Sony G70,Marquee 8500,Nec XG `series will do this resolution no problem.

In my view theres no point in using a digital cable to "gain" in transferrance when the receiving projector cannot do HDTV native.

HD-DVD is round the corner with a native resolution of 1080i.

I would also like to mention that I sell crt on E-Bay and I dont consider myself risky-my customer recommendations dont consider me risky! :)

The three biggest crt sellers in the world sell almost exclusively on E-Bay(u.s.)

So dont dismiss E-Bay!

6. timothywood

timothywood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Incidentally my comment re ebay was not refering the "risk" of using ebay - I have bought and sold a number of items myself. My concern was that you could end up with a piece of rubbishfrom someone who didn't know what they were selling and as I am a novice to CRT I wouldn't know the questions to ask.

THe overall impression that I get is that CRT still produces an excellent picture if set up right and fed a decent signal. Can you give me some idea of buget I should be considering for a CRT & line doubler/scaler or what to look out for on ebay ?

THanks

7. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timothy,
    I guess I didnt make myself clear,there is a risk buying a crt off e-bay IF that seller has not got a lot of positive feedback selling crt and cannot support etc..
    Budget wise? If your looking for a good 8" and say-DVDO I-SCAN HD-then under 3k.

This will give you a stonking pic that NO digital this side of 15k is going to match. :thumbsup:

8. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    One very important thing to remember is that to get the best from CRT (and to avoid harming the projector and possibly yourself), it must be setup correctly. Getting an expert to set it up for you is highly recommended.

I got Roland from B4 to supply and setup my 1209s this summer and can recommend this route. CRTprojectors.co.uk come highly recommended also and their website is full of useful info (check out the FAQs). This way you get a machine they are happy to supply (ie in good nick) and professional backup. I believe neither is prepared to setup a projector which they did not supply and the setup costs are not high.

I was at event 2 and saw CRT in direct competition to the digital competition. I went for CRT. If you have a dedicated room I would recommend them.

One word of caution. If HD DVD or HiDef transmissions via satellite become HDMI only, then, in theory, you will not be able to use a CRT pj to view these formats. However, some people believe that HDCP will be cracked and it will not be a problem.

Martin

9. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin.
    I sure Its not intended as such,but your post implies that the ONLY safe route to buying crt is from the vendors you mention?

This of course Is not true,I have sold numerous crt`s this year and have ably been able to support all/any scenarios that may have arisen.

Thats not to say I profess to be as sophisticated :) But,without the overheads of some I am able to price quite keenly-thats not a knock against them.

Its a choice of the consumer as to where they buy,But as I mentioned earlier,the biggest sellers of crt in the world sell on E-Bay.

I also dont necessarily agree(as mentioned in another thread) that the ONLY way you are going to get a good picture is "to have someone setup for you".

This is a nonsense.

I dont deny that a pro-Installer that has had plenty of practice will get you a very good picture off the bat-thats not to say you cant get agood picture yourself.

Crt is not brain surgery-In my view a lot of the fun is in setting up yourself..Some want It done for them.

Buts lets not confuse those that prefer to have It done for them as not capable of doing it themselves-because thats not the case.

10. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm sorry - I didn't intend any slander to you or anyone else. Obviously there is a difference buying on ebay from a retailer (who will offer support) and from an individual. With the latter you may still get a good unit but for installation and setup you're on your own.

There are 2 parts to the setup AFAIK. Getting the image square and centred on the phosphor and then the geometry/convergence. The former is often done badly and can damage the pj. I've had a go at the latter and made a complete mess of it. It is possible to do it as a beginner, but you need time and patience. Even then, I'm sure you'll still need a little outside help/advice to get the best results. However I imagine it is very rewarding in the end.

Martin

11. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offence taken :)

I think things are moving away from the days where you were on your own re;-install if you DIDNT buy from a certain seller.

I am a crt enthusiast first and foremost,I have had many contact me regards installs who didnt buy a crt from me-I have turned none away.

I would not leave someone high and dry because they hadnt bought from me-I dont agree with that chain of thought-This chain of thought is indirectly coercing someone to ONLY buy from them.

Thats wrong I believe.

Can you imagine a Ford garage refusing to service your car because you hadnt bought the car from them in the first place?

Its a mentality that has sought to keep crt insular-and I dont agree with this.