CRT v PLASMA (footy viewing)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by uk_saw, Nov 10, 2004.

1. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm about as non techy as it gets on tvs and home cinema setups. There seems to be pages of specs on each product and none of it means much to me so I'm hoping someone could be kind enough to offer their opinion on a couple of questions I have.

Basically I am building my own little footy and movie haven in my house for me and some pals to watch the big games on. I have about 2.5k total to spend on my complete TV + Home cinema setup so from what I can see that gives me more options that i can handle.

The main use for the system will be football and movies, I have enough space to make either a big crt or plamsa fit without any probs so my main consideration is getting the best picture I can.

Is it true that Plasma's are generally poor at showing football due to lag on heating the gasses (what my friends are telling me, although Im not sure they know any more than me).

I have in mind either the hitachi 42" 5300 plasma or the Sony KV36HQ100 36" CRT or anything else that someone could recommend.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve.

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can't talk from experience but if it were my money i would go CRT.2.5K on a Plasma and the rest of the setup isn't that much,good plasmas still seem to be around £3K.The HQ100 has a great picture and i have no problems with football :) Wait a while though as Sony have recalled this model,mine is being modded this Saturday,risk of electric shock problem!! Mine cost £1299 (special deal) Currys online have it for £1699. People may laugh at Currys but i've had no problem with them-they will swap out upto THREE TV's without question ;) I've had one bad HQ100 (screen purity),the first one was sent back because it was switching AV's(turned out to be normal-Sony don't even know their own models!!) Third one is fine(touch wood) Got through three FS76U's though :suicide: This model replaces that.............

3. cmc

cmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would echo DRGL's words. Just got my one set up properly and it is a great set with a lovely picture. My only niggle is one that was brought up recently in another thread...when hooked up to a home cinema set-up the sound comes out of the speakers ever so slightly before the picture. I wouldn't say this ruins the DVD experience but it's one of those things that you seem to notice/look out for once you've seen it.

Not sure if adjusting the speaker distance on the amp will correct this. My dvd player is pretty old anyway and I might see if i can get a new one with audio delay...

4. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thansk for the tips guys. looks like a CRT it is then.

5. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

uk_saw, I'd suggest you also consider the Toshiba 36PZ48 CRT. ;)
    Decent signal >> Gorgeous picture. :smashin:

Granted I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the Sony model you're interested in.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218