CRT TV and Speakers

milanlad

Standard Member
I have a 25" oldish CRT Panasonic TV.

I wanted to know the following regarding un-magnetically shielded speakers?

1. How far away from the TV do I need to place my un-magnectically shielded speakers before the TV is likely to be affected?

2. If the speakers are too close to the TV what effects would they have on the TV and would they be permanent?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
1. How far away from the TV do I need to place my un-magnectically shielded speakers before the TV is likely to be affected?.
A lot depends on the strength of the magnet in the spkrs...I would say 4-5ft to be on the safe side...just place one temporarily next to the side of the TV and observe the colour shift...blue will turn a greenish hue. As long as you switch the set off for an hour or two (from the mains switch or socket...not standby) this will leave no lasting damage as the set will be automatically degaussed the next time it is switched on

2. If the speakers are too close to the TV what effects would they have on the TV and would they be permanent?
You would see patches of incorrect colour more pronounced in the corners of the screen.
Prolonged exposure to a magnetic field will distort the shadowmask behind the glass.

milanlad

Standard Member
Does the amount of effect caused by an unshielded speaker depend on whether there is any current running through it, or is it just about the distance?

Thanks

technospark

Novice Member
hi and merry xmas
on answering your last question it is not as much the current but the size and the power of the speekers but azs jaycee said it would affect the tv after a long time. the differance would be very small with cuerrent unless they were powered or they were pa speekers
well all the best
tec

Katana

Novice Member
Hi!
This is my first time posting so i don`t known if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if it it possible to shield a tv from speakers or do you have to buy special speakers?As i`ve just moved my speakers and have noticed those greeny colours appearing on my screen.:)

Many Thanks

aekostas

I can tell you that most speakers (esp those designed for multi-channel setups) are shielded; obviously confirm before you buy. You must have seen (central) speakers resting on top of CRTs.

However, I am interested to see if there are techniques to shield speakers (and wonder if that's not a FAQ on the Speakers section :))

milanlad

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies so far.

My unshielded speakers are PMC DB1S+ which are stand mounted, with the following drivers:

LF Doped 140mm cast alloy chassis
HF 27mm, Silk soft dome, ferrofluid cooled

Putting them 4 inches away from my 25" Panny TV didn't seem to make an immediate difference.

I'm still a little concerned.

Katana

Novice Member
I took Jay Cees advice on switching off the tv and leaving it for a couple of hours and it worked a treat!
The green has all gone!
cheers :thumbsup:

T1969

Hello, I have just noticed today that my sony 32kvls60 has developed a green hue on the middle left of the picture where my surround sound speaker stands, though not on the right for some reason:confused: My surround system is an Accoustic solution all in one set up and i have had the tv and surround for at least 5 years. Would you say that time has worn the shielding down in the speakers???causing an interference

I have today removed the speakers from the stands and placed them on the floor. I hope the damage isnt permanent....:oops:

Your comments would be apreciated.

Happy new year to all:hiya: :clap: :hiya: :clap: :arty: :hiya: :clap: :hiya: :clap:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Time doesn't affect the shielding properties.
It's best just to switch the TV off completely at the mains switch or pull the plug for a couple of hours and take it from there.
All the best and have a Happy New Year.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom