1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT TV and Progressive Scan - any problems?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ramspeed, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi there

I want to buy a CRT TV that displays progressive scan (since my Tosh DVD player outputs prog scan). I like Panasonic TV's so I called them up and asked which of their CRT TV were prog scan enabled. The reply was 'none'. I asked why. The sales guy said prog scan was being removed from the CRT range because it produced 'flickering'. Surely this is nonsense. I have never heard anyone state that CRT's had a problem displaying prog scan.

Can anyone help me with this. And can anyone recommend a prog scan CRT? I'd prefer a 28 inch model. At the moment all I can find is the new JVC HV-28D40.

Many thanks.

2. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 36zp38 and have raised an issue with Toshiba regarding the flicker when using progressive scan. They tried to contact me but I was out and haven't caught up with them yet. So yes, my tv does have a problem and I was trying to determine if this was at a normal level for the tv or not...

Andy

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There was no flicker using pal or ntsc prog scan on the panasonic pd30/50 i tried.The pd 50 is still available.My tosh zp48 produced no flicker either.

4. SofaSpud

SofaSpud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine flickers in progressive aswell, as does '100Hz'.
    I only use the 'Natural' or 'Active', which seem identical to my Mr.Magoo eyes!

5. pxmm

pxmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have my eye on the 32zp48 but am concerned about your progressive flicker problem. Am I correct in assuming, since the image is progressive, the problem is simply with refresh rate flicker and not some sort of design defect like the introduction of line flicker on parts of the image?

If it is I think it's pretty stupid for any Manufacturer to make a great TV with 100hz and hardware to eliminate line flicker and then mess up the progressive image by setting it to work at 50hz.

No literature, not that I've seen all that much, I've seen from any TV manufacturer has ever directly stated a 100hz progressive image. Even Toshiba’s page states, “Active Vision - advanced 100Hz / progressive scan”, which implies 100hz OR progressive scan. I'd want 100hz progressive scan in addition to the interlaced signal modes because refresh rate flicker is as annoying to me as line flicker. :mad:

I’m just glad you can turn SVM/VSM off on this set, another one of my bugbears. :nono:

6. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Oops, I mistyped the tv id :rolleyes: , I have the 36zp48p and it does look to me as if the flicker is down to the refresh rate. There are no artifacts on the screen.

I have to say that I am very succeptible to flicker and I have noticed friends pc monitors on a refresh rate that I could not stand but they were happy with and could not see any instability. So YMMV.

Other than this, the tv is sensational so I am not dissapointed...

Andy

7. pxmm

pxmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I decided to have a look around the toshiba site and downloaded the **zp48 manual. In it I found this statement about the progressive mode:

So it has 50hz vertical scan it seems, with an 'equivalent' number thrown in for the horizontal scan just to get the magic '100hz' in there; for the marketing department presumably. ;)

I continue to find it contradictory and pretty stupid of Toshiba to produce a 100hz television yet make a gaff like only using 50hz for progressive... The 100hz technology is already in there and doing MORE work dealing with the interlaced images from TV. :nono:

Well, since I love my DVDs and have PC-trained levels of refresh rate sensitivity this is a deal breaker for me.

8. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not meaning to ressurect a thread, but since progressive scan paints twice as many lines per scan, therefore fifty full lines per scan, one scan per second = 50 lines. 100hz interlaced paints 25 lines per scan, 2 scans in a second = 50 lines. The TV's can only paint 50 per second, the electrons can't keep up with 100 lines. Progressive scan, in theory, should not introduce flicker, as the flicker is a side effect of interlaced images.

9. erg

erg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0