1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Tables. A new DIY project

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Nic,

Sounds like a very interesting project.

The only thing i would add is good ventilation, you don't want to cook the thing.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Nic,

My screen at home has the centre of the screen at eye level when I'm sitting in my chair. I don't like to look up at a big screen. Luckily my screen at home is actually quite small so this isn't too much of a problem.

Gordon

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I thought about building a unit to house my PJ, but after weighing up the good and bad points I decided to ceiling mount. For my situation, this was the way to go. As long as you follow the correct procedure, there is no need to adjust anything (regarding the position and angle) once its up. Problem with floor mounting is the PJ is nearly always exactly where you want to sit. If you don't mind sitting to one side, on your own then fine. I like to sit in the very centre. It looks and sounds better to me! You also don't have to worry about the unit getting knocked or damaged in any way, A good point if you have kids (like me),or taking up valuable floor space, if you use a big unit. Its also easier to run cables I would think depending on your room.

A few points anyway!

Regards Rob.

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another prob if you have kids with a floor mount is finger prints . it is garranteed that you will have to clean them a dozen times a day (if you have kids like me it is anyway).

i do have one small prob with it being ceiling mounted that i never even thought about . when ever anyone runs across the floor upstairs (another prob with kids)i get a slight wobble of the image on the screen .stupid counsil house house is built like crap

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have looked at the Quadraspire CRT table. It looks good but is almost £1000. This seems high to me. Well I am having one designed to go into my new room. I am looking for any helpful pointers or lessons that have been learned previously. I have not totally decided on a floor installation yet, so it still might go on the ceiling! I will at lest make a mock up however.

The table will have the following:

&#61623; Removable top.<br />&#61623; Adjustable angle for CRT.<br />&#61623; Variable height for the CRT.<br />&#61623; Sound deadening.<br />&#61623; Space for the lid of the CRT to be opened.<br />&#61623; Holes for cable routing.<br />&#61623; Adjustable / removable flap at the front.

The way I see it now is that getting the correct CRT position is most of the battle. I therefore want to get is right early on. I will pick a screen width and that will determine the distance between the CRT and the screen.

In order to get the height of the bottom of the screen there are two options.

1. Angle the projector up at an angle to add to the 12 degree the guns are already angled at. Then use the corrections within the projector to correct for geometry.

2. Increase the height of the base of the CRT.

The table being designed will allow both but in reality the best solution will probably be a combination of both. I intend to put the two subs on the inside of the main L and R speaker, probably under the outer edge of the screen. The centre will also sit under the screen.

Obviously the height of the CRT dictates the height of the table and I don't want something too high.

What height do people currently use for their CRTs from the floor?

Are these nearly always angled as well?

I intend to site my KEF 200c centre at probably 15-18 inches off the ground. This wound put the bottom of the screen at a minimum of 8 inches higher (23-26 inches). I don't want a screen too low however, I want it at the optimum view angle.

What do people recommend for height off the floor for a screen?

The current plan is to knock up a MDF version to make sure everything is okay. Then it would be made in probably Ash, black of course, as a final finished piece of furniture.

I am more than willing to help / share any info on this project if others have an interest or do you all have them on the ceiling?