1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT size??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr A, May 22, 2001.

1. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks,

I have been considering purchasing a second hand Barco 801s recently but due to its immense size the WAF is Nil. Plus it needs a room lonegr than 10' to get minimum screen size in. I had almost sorted all other issues such as how to connect to it etc, but am now back at square one.

So does anyone know if there is such a thing as a small (ish) CRT. All comments welcome. I dont really want to have to go LCD as it will ultimately be more expensive.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Short CRT's are about. The Ellie is pretty short. Barco 600's are short. Seleco's 400/450/420/500/800 are short and the Electrohome ECP3000/4000's are short. They do however hang down more than most so you may need a slightly higher ceiling.

Sony 12XX series, NEC6/9 and XG's are larger 7" units. Slightly shorter than the Barco and more elegant looking.

Hope this is some use.

Gordon

3. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the electrohome ecp4500 and set it up for a short time in the only space i had (befor taking over the living room). this room was only 9and a half feet and i still got a pretty good image out of it (aabout 6feet diag)

as gordon said these projectors are quite tall compaired to others. and i would say would be better on the floor (so you don't hit it with your head).

i have the dist calculator for the electrohomes if you whant to send me an e-mail i can get it to you .

thegreataturn@yahoo.co.uk

hope this helps
    simon

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the dist calculator is on it's way.

i hope you find the best projector for you . the is no real alternative to a good projector in my opinion :D :D :D

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about D-Win? They've a rep for being small & silent.

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr A,
    Arthur has a point. The Dwinn is a fantastic projector. Compared to my 808s its tiny. Its also virtually silent. I saw one is the USA around 6 months ago, really nice image.
    If your budget allows you might want to consider this.
    Eric

7. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, do you have links to pages about the Dwinn, is it available in UK?

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr A,
    I dont think they have UK distribution yet, however, Alan Gouger over at www.avsforum.com is a Dwin dealer and can do them at a good price shipped to the UK. He has a salesman working there called Jason Turk.
    Due to their size and weight they would be a lot cheaper to ship than say a Barco 800 series.
    For info and specs on the Dwin crt,
    here is their link www.dwin.com

Eric

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    DWIN do have distribution in the UK. They are so effective at marketing that no-one in the UK knows this unless you contact DWIN direct and ask them.

They are Absolute Sounds. The Hi-End audio distributor for all things Esoteric. Expect a big shock when you enquire about price and availability from official sources. Grey imports here we come.

Gordon

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    Wow, I dident know that. As you say, brilliant maketing.
    Anyway, Alan was doing these at around 10k usd (approx 7k pounds) even after adding 50% for shipping, duty and VAT it probably would still be a good deal. I nearly bought one but managed to track down my 808s (size was not an issue for me).

best wishes
    Eric

11. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know you did not want to look at LCD because of the cost, but i have seen some good deals on here and on ebay.
    There is a Sony VPLW400 which i have just seen on ebay at £800,this is a great projector,i had one for 2 years before i got the HT.
    Rob