1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Run times

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Barco Graphics 808 has 20,000 hours on the counter, but is still going strong and looking great. Can anyone explain why it's still going strong after twice the accepted norm of 10,000 hours?

Could it have been set up really well? If you press the pause button to shut of the tubes, does the clock keep ticking?

Did someone use it with a cery low brightness setting?

Cheers

Nick

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Are they definately the original tubes?

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe so. They have some wear but still get great whites and blacks and colour balancing was almost spot on using the PC program to measur the temperature.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Tube life of 10,000 hours is an estimate given by most manufactures for a well set up projector showing video type images ie moving. At that point the brightness will have dropped to 50% of its original

Most CRT projectors run the clock when the EHT voltages are up. this doesn't mean that it has to be showing a picture, just that it is ready to.

I worked for some years in an inatallation that had about 20 Barcos and the ones that were left on were more relable and stable than those that we switched off each night. In the end it became policy to run them comnnstantly with no picture to keep them charged and warm ready for display.

Barco quote a mean time between failure of 30,000 hours.

I estimate that your partilular projector had probably done about 4000 picture hours.

Highest recorded time I know of at the moment is 63000 and it is still running.

I still claim that run time is pretty much irelevant when judging a CRT projector the tube faces and condition of the boards is far more important.

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is there anyway of knowing how many hours my Data 600 has been used for Roland?

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent reply Roland. How practical in a home installation would it be to leave the thing on?

The amount of time I use mine for I think I have quite a few years left on it. I can't be averaging more than one or 2 films a week, and occasional rugby match if I'm not actually at the game.

as mentioned before , I think this reply shows that when buying secondhand, esp privately , the clock isn't the best indicator, but looking at the tubes is. If you know what to look for.

The best thing would be to obviouslt use a trusted supplier. One that is happy to show you the product, even if it is awkward to do so, willing to point out any problems, especially at the budget end. That way you get no suprises as even the cheapest CRT's are a fair bit of money.

I have been on these forums for 6 months and I think all the regular used/Reconditioned suppliers are to be trusted implicity. It's no secret who supplied mine and I couldn't be happier.

Nick

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Nick
    my bg808 is in the same boat as you with 18000+ on the clock but according to Roland it was company owned in a past life and was left on all the time with the tubes on pause so the clock still ticks but the tubes are still babies.
    I will be messing around with the drivers tonite so i will let u know which is the more stable ken recons that the 7093 driver is one of the most popular, did you get the sound card u mentioned?

regards

richard

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still undecided about soundf card. I've got a couple of ideas on Chivs on the TT forum and he says that other factors could be the problem.

Last night I donloaded the 7093's and the colour is identical to the 7075's, not sure of any benefits yet. Also changed my VIA 4-in-1 drivers for the MB, these are supposed to make a difference to playback.

Next job it to flash the BIOS to a more updated version, I've found that my Athalon 133 is actually only running at 1.0 Gigs and the bios won't accepot the change properly.

Projector wise mine has done about 4000 or so, as Roland mentioned. But with 20,000 on the clock. It is well set up so should last me quite a few years, enough time to save up for a 1209!!!!

Nick

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Open the cover, right at the very back in the middle is a time line clock which measures in thousand hour sectors. It looks a bit like a mercury thermometer about 2" long.

If you take it out be careful to put it back in the same way or it will go backwards. ;)

Doesn't work on the digital units

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I cannae see her cap'n!

U got a pic/diagram of where it should be?

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.