1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT questions..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matinee, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of months ago, I asked about LCD and DLP in the other forum. I went out and saw an LCD and a DLP. Suffice it to say I wasnt won over [1].

At that point I thought 'sod it - I'm in a new house, I've got complete control over the room[2] - why *cant* I go for a CRT?'

Therefore I've got a few questions. You can see the room in a drawing at http://www.bofh.ly/lounge.gif - it could look better, but that's what CAD->bitmap does for you

I was thinking of mounting a projector at the bottom of the stairs (p1), which according to Barco and Sony's lens program should give me about a 2m wide 16:9 screen, yes? The height of the screen is sadly likely to be just past the top of the fire and so I'm going to have to mount it slightly out from the wall?

The alternatives are (p2) annoying, or (p3) producing a smaller image. I could also mount at (p2) on the floor , but know that would get in the way(tv will be opposite)

Are any of these scenarios valid, or am I going to have to rethink?

I'd like to spend no more than 3 grand on the projector (2nd hand obviously); I have an old sony DVD player, but was looking at constructing a HTPC to drive the projector and scale the image. Stereo is currently ancient, with a couple of low end speakers (will upgrade later). I suspect the projector will cost the most to upgrade, so was looking at concentrating time on that and upgrading other bits piecemeal.

What projector would you guys recommend? I am slightly confused by the range on Roland@B4's website - why is the BG1208s cheaper than the BD808s despite being better on paper - condition, or missing accessories?

What are the hidden costs - I need to budget for projector, cables, screen, HTPC, some shelving etc.

I'll carry on reading the forums, but any advice is gratefully received in the meantime.

PK (near Bolton)

[1]On the upside the Toshiba LCD I saw had black levels vastly better than work's Sim2/Seleco 650X. On the downside I wasnt impressed by the colour rendition.

The DLP (Sim2 HT300 if I remember correctly) was a definite improvement in both black level and colour rendition, but at that point I discovered I'm extremely sensitive to the rainbow effect (at least 1 rainbow visible, every second).

[2] Well.. it is a lounge, and I dont want it /completely/ devoted to home cinema. I also currently dont have a girlfriend, so the 'what the fsck is that on the ceiling?' question doesnt arise ;)

2. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a very similar shaped room to you (but the bottom door is on the right and not the left).

I have decided to go with P3 in your case.

My Fireplace was movable so I've moved it to the bottom wall.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Matinee
    I read your post this morning and vowed to do some work on it today.

Good choice on the CRT front there is still nothing to beat in on shear image quality.

Quick answer on the 1208 front is that for Home Cinema use the 1208 have very little offer in image quality terms above the 808. They use the same tubes and lenses. the down size is that they are physicaly the same size as a 1209. Happy to make it more expensive if you would like.

Your room is as about as un PJ friendly as you can get. CRT's as a rule have a throw of about 1.5 times the screen width. Which is about the same as the ideal viewing distance (varries with differnt viewers, some like to sit at the front of the cinema some at the back)

So with the projector in P1 the screen would have to sit proud of the fireplace or it would be too big - then where will you sit and where will your rear speakers go?

P2 is better but the window will look odd probably better the other way round with the screen covering the window.

P3 will sort of work but with an 808/1208 you ain't going to get a very big image.(6ft ish)

No I still think P2 reversed on the ceiling or the floor. Screen in front of the window is the best way. 7ft (2130mm) screen would put the projector almost to the back of the room Speakers either side and room for the rears too.

I bet there's a reason why that can't happen now. But I hope it helps

P.S. love the coment about the Girl Friend. - Treat your self to a projector. they never complain, talk through the film, put the toilet seat down or hang the bath mat over the edge of the bath like a hotel.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You're right, I just pulled mine and it came away, I've now put it in the downstairs loo now out the way.:p

(couldn't resist - Sorry);)

5. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But at least it would be out of the way of your Home Cinema. :D

6. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it's *perfectly* fine at the current price Roland. I've still the rest of the house to sort out, and have an Alba stereo and two speakers to support (told you it was old).

Actually, I hadnt considered that arrangement. It may even work :)

I need to do a little planning, look at screens and work out how to black out the room without spoiling my nice red curtains on poles.

How do people usually run the cables from the projector to the video device in a tidy fashion?

Additionally, is there anything about requirements for ceiling mounting etc that I need to know (i.e. will it just work if the joists can be found or are there things I need to check out)

Also, does anyone know somewhere around Bolton/Manchester or further afield frankly that shows off CRT projectors? From what I've seen, all the pictures by people here it looks great and wont suffer from the dreaded faults of DLP and LCD. I suspect I'll love it, but an opportunity to check before I splash out would be great; I'll do a search for places myself, but obviously I cant afford a new CRT projector so going to a place where someone expects me to buy is a little off..

PK

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You're new to this I can tell:D

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    If you can make it North I'll happily show you my Sony1270. May even be able to show you a something better at Stereo Stereo.

I'm sure there will be some forum members who'd be happy to let you see their installations around where you stay.

Gordon

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    They have a Seleco 500 very well set up projecting onto Stewart Studiotek 130 at Sevenoaks in Manchester.
    Other than that Gordon's suggestion of seeing other peoples set ups is a good one. Plus there's a few installed by Roland if that's the route your thinking of taking.
    I'd be happy to give you a dem.
    I'm down in Bollington, Macclesfield.
    Let me know if you want to arrange something. In the meantime you can see my setup in the link in my sig.

HTH
    Alex

10. Matinee

Matinee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) guilty as charged. I have experience with using an LCD setup, but that's a lot more portable than CRT and doesnt require the same level of light control. An LCD projector is easy to move if things dont look right whilst a CRT projector weighs (looks) HOLY COW! - weighs three stone more than me.

I take it from your comment, that many people just let the cables hang down and sort it later. Must read the DIY topics.

Thanks all for the references on CRT projectors; it was actually Alex's website that started me thinking that perhaps CRT could be viable after all.

PK

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
  12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    PK: Depends on how much you want to spend how discreet the cable can be. A good electrician can make these things disappear. Alternative is to run the cable on wall surface and use conduit to hide it.

Gordon

13. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The screen at Manchester has a gain of 2.0, so is a bit more powerful than the StudioTek 130 (1.3 gain).

The result is a brighter image but it has a sort of silvery sparkle to it.

Regards

14. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I just ment that we all dream of having the cables hidden out of the way but as the system grows and changes. We are in such a hurry to watch or listen to our beautiful purchase that the cables are not put as tidy as they could be.

As others have said it really depends how much hiding is possible. The video and mains cables to the projector are often the most difficult.

15. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Ahh - I was indeed lead to believe that it was a 2.0 gain screen originally but last time I went in they said to someone that it was StudioTek 130:confused: (it looked like the same screen to me)

Obviously, anyone wanting to dem should seek clarification as it would significantly effect a lcd/dlp/crt comparison.

16. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My video cable runs under the wooden floor, up the back wall (chased into the plaster), under the floor above and out just by the projector mounting bracket. The only visible bit is a small loop at the back where it terminates. I'm just waiting for SWMBO to hammer a picture hook into it :eek:

Power comes from a fused spur on the upstairs ring main and exits right next to the video cable.

Cheers,

Andy.

17. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Studiotek 130 is completely smooth and white - if it has a sparkle or roughness to touch it isn't 130 !

Anyone who saw the screen in the TAG room at Bristol will recognise this difference, they should have had a 130 delivered but there was an 'error' at the supplier and they ended up with a 2.0 gain screen (which is also why it wouldn't fit the frame)

As I was told many years ago when I started with CRT projection, the best way to gauge the gain of the screen is to hold a white busines card against the screen, if the light on the card is noticably dimmer than the screen then it's a gain of 2.0 or more. a 1.3 gain (as in 130) will be brighter than the card but only slightly.

hope this helps!

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    Thats a great way to tell using a business card, but richard mines are pink:rolleyes: :kisses: :kisses:

19. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    THX

I've seen your screen - it won't matter.:D :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.