1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Projectors...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mythical, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Mythical

Mythical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am looking at buying a CRT projector. I was hoping to find out if all CRT projectors need to be opened to get the tubes lined up (sorry if the terminology is incorrect, i'm new to this). I basically want a projector which doesn't need to be opened and is genrally quite plug and play. Do any CRT's work like this?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    No.

You need to physically align the tubes then electronically do the convergence and geometry. CRT is not plug and play. Once it's done properly though it's as good as plug and play....

Gordon

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Just to add.........this adjustment (which can take, say, half a day to do right) needs to be done EVERY time either the projector or screen is moved, even a little bit. So - you need a completely FIXED installation, for both.

4. filmmonkey

filmmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to add, from the perspective of a relative newcomer to this field, that you shouldn't be put off by the prospect of 'opening up' the projector to align the tubes. In my case (electrohome ecp 3100) this turned out to involve simply removing the outermost plastic cover then performing what was a quite rudimentary operation that was very well described by both the on screen menu and the service manuals I found online.

Actually getting a pretty good picture up and running was very easy, and incredibly rewarding.

I'm sure I haven't got the system running at 100% yet but getting there will be half the fun, or so I'm told!

So don't be put off - even the results that can be achieved by a total newbie are well worth trying for.

Stephen

5. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a mythology that exists that crt`s are difficult to set up-this was mainly espoused a few years ago when mega money was earnt out of installations-so In essence It paid to preach a complex message for crt,I have heard of people spending 4 days to set up a crt and charging a grand!

This Is what -In my view -kept crt from the masses,the fear of It being beyond the ken of mere mortals.
    The truth Is that this always was a nonsense,most crt`s can be setup in half a day-tops by an experienced Installer-a day by a newbie.
    Like anything practice makes perfect and I know a guy that can set up G70`S to perfection in 45 mins.(His record I believe was 27 minutes!)

Obviously,a experienced installer can get better results more quickly.

6. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Well i'm a newbie to crt and have had a Barco 800 for about 3 months and i still can't see the raster to set it up properly :suicide: :(

Adrenochrome.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Tom,

I forgot all about you. Email me your address again I might be passing by Thursday.

Gordon

8. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207

Excellent I'll email you now. :thumbsup:

Adrenochrome.

9. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you turned the projector on? Just kidding. :smoke:

10. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..I would like to add to my above post-that possibly wasnt made clear,there is a difference between a good picture & a great picture-what may be good enough for some & How far others are prepared to go in the quest for total perfection.
    Some can afford to spend a fortune on a setup,some cannot.
    But for those that cannot-all is not lost- I feel a very good picture can still be affordable.

But a 4 day setup? Is it necessary..I dont think so-But If you have the dough and are happy spending It in the quest for perfection-go ahead .

This should not be confused though with how long the average joe may spend on install/setting up who may not be able to afford this extravagance.

11. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was a total newbie when I ordered my CRT from a well known member on these forums. The price was agreed, he delivered it and the deal was done....not a problem, the said member was a joy to deal with and I'd happily recomend him.... :)
    The installation by another well regarded member on these very forums has'nt quite left me with quite the same feelings of happiness.......
    The installation, was a proper installation not just a calibration, the said PJ weighs 92kg so there was some work involved on that side of things, and in fairness I knew the price of the days labour in advance, so I had no quibbles there. However when I pay £700 I expect the job to be done properly and it was'nt. For example to find the main beam in my ceilling to attach the pj to, he had to drill pilot holes across a line of the ceiling to find the joist. Not a problem you might say, surely anormal procedure in finding the joist, but he promised to fill them in....... he never did. Can you imagine how much greif I got from the mrs over that. Loads of holes in her ceiling, she did not like. Most annoyingly though, is that the unit desperately needs a recalibration and after such a service you'd expect it to be up and running. In fairness at the time my final source unit was'nt available but still it could have been set up slightly better in opinion.
    I'd like to say this IS NOT an attack on the said guy, hence I have'nt even mentioned him, as in fairness he does'nt even know my gripes.....I never complained or questioned at the time and that's my problem. He was professional and friendly throughout.And in that sense I'd recomend him.
    Nor is the point of this post to put you off CRTs, I've stuck with it for the same reasons you want to get involved......the rewards are there to be seen.
    My point is if you don't ask you don't get, but if you don't know what you're asking for you not getting either.
    Do your homework dude.....................good luck.

12. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think these are the sort of things that put people off crt and its a damn shame,This scenario sounds more like a communication thing than an install thing and maybe you were too polite?
    But In fairness,ceiling installs aint much fun and a bloody nuisance If you want to upgrade etc..
    Sure there are situations where one has no choice but to put on the ceiling,my preference though is for a floor install in a nice unit-easier for everyone-Invariably less expensive to have done and easier to upgrade If you want to swap projectors.
    But having a large crt on the ceiling I think can look really ugly,different story If the crt is in a hush box and recessed into the ceiling so you just see the tubes -very popular in the u.s. where rooms are larger and more space between floors.

13. gpender

gpender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like I say, the point of my post was not to put anyone off, it was just a cautionary tale if you like.
    Frankly I think alot of what happens on this forum at times is a situation where the blind are leading the blind and that's dangerous as it can lead people to jump into something they are not prepared for. (it's the old saying, a little knowledge's dangerous)
    However, like I said, it's definately worth going for it though, as the results are so incredible. :)
    For me there was no other installation option available but that was'nt the problem, I was happy to have it hanging from the ceiling......it was just the overall result....but yep you're right, I probably was too polite.
    But again that relates back to this forum to a degree as you're taking peoples advice as gospel at times, so why would I have questioned this said installer at that point? He knows after all, that why I got him in, I mean I was the newbie at that point.
    Anyway I don't want to harp on as I don't want to come across like I'm moaning, I'm seriously not. I'm just saying go for it, but don't dive in. Ask ask and ask again. :)

14. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have all done It,All at some point deferred to someones greater experience and knowledge and of course that Is a great part of what these forums are about-helping newbies like yourself,In time to come you will be advising a newbie and using your experiences-as you are now-to help others.

But nobody Is the font of all knowledge and even the greatly experienced mess up-we are after all human.

But It can be dangerous ground for a newbie as he/she may not have a point of comparison(yet),will not know what is a fair price for a given service and what is not.

Only afterwards -like yourself have you the benefit of hindsight!

But I can only talk for myself here,I have never preached an elitist gospel with relation to crt,I would rather explain how to use It and espouse the view that crt is NOT hard to setup-because thats the truth.
    It can be time consuming -there may be plenty that choose not to set up the crt they have just bought-and good luck to them thats there choice but lets not confuse that with "crt`s are difficult to setup" because they are not.

I remember the first crt I ever had,got a guy to install It-paid 300 quid almost 10 years ago. I sat and watched him and the minute he left I redone the whole thing because I wasnt happy with It!

I also think that a very good Idea for someone who doesnt want to have a go at it from the off is to sit and watch the installer-and when you have a chance setup your own convergence on another memory and see If you can "equal" the installers pic-
    Because I guarantee you will equal it or beat It-eventually. Because It is yours -you have a vested interest in getting the best out of It,ultimately more than the installer even -no matter how professional he may be.

Its horses for courses though,some want It all done for them,some get the buzz out of doing it themselves.

15. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I can tell you there is a lot of rubbish talked about CRT PJ's and setting up, ok, for the first week or so you play around with it untill you are happy, but i can honnestly say scince doing that, about a year ago, i have never had to touch mp projector, and i have a old cheap barco data 650, so dont sweat it mate, just get one, play with it for a few days , then enjoy the movies.
    oh yeah, it is ugly, but if the wife dont like it, give her a dig in the ribs. :devil:
    cheers Rob

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    The key issue, though, is that this set-up only works for one exact placing of the projector and screen. Move either and you have to start over. So a 3-tube CRT device is only really suitable for a totally fixed installation.

17. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Firstly, has anyone noticed that Mythical hasn't responded or asked any further questions? I wonder what he makes of this debate?

Next, I agree and advocate that convergence is a skill that can be learned; but with respect I have to disagree with the suggestion that a CRT owner is 'guaranteed' to equal or better the convergence of a pro. It may be more true for the dedicated enthusiast who has found this message board, but IMO the original statement is just too broadranging to be accurate for all CRT owners.

I think filmmonkey said it best
    Speaking for myself I always take the time to talk a customer through a convergence if they are interested. I find it helps them understand the process and gives them a greater sense of confidence to try it on their own.

Best regards and a Happy New Year

18. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    ywah your prolly right about the pro thing but ubless youve had it done by a pro, how would we know ?
    also, downt really matter what mythical thinks, if he cant be bothered to resond to posts thats his problem, still an interesing thread :devil:
    rob

19. rob virgo

rob virgo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lads/experts ,

as mentioned above, can you do your own set up and put on a different memory on the sony 1272q.i got a pro to set mine up and would like to tweak it a bit but dont want to mess up his base settings.
    if i make a bo**ox of it it will take ages and $$$ to get him back

rob

20. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's quite interesting, You get a pro to set your pj up yet you want to tweak it a bit? :thumbsup:

21. rob virgo

rob virgo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sinbrad ,

by pro i mean a local guy who sets up av systems.dont think he put his heart into it,the bottom of the screen seems to be bowed and a little red and green rim around the top left area

needs tweeking

22. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,

Only reason I picked up on your quote was because of the use of the word "Pro". If it was just a local guy then that's what you should have put as It gives the real Pro's a bit of a bad name (I'm no pro by the way). Anyway keep percevering and someone out there will be on hand to give you the help you need :)

23. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I need to clarify here,In case all the pro installers put a contract out on me :-0

If you have an aptitude for such things and are inclined to,I feel a newbie can get a very good pic from crt-In time-maybe by asking questions on forums etc..he will get a very,very good pic-and I hold my comment that he will equal or better the "pro" setup.

What I need to add is he will equal the pro setup in most cases with a very few notable pro exceptions I can think of that would be very hard to better.

They of course know who they are.. :)