1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Projector Mounting...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sorcery, Dec 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently discovered this forum whilst looking for info regarding refurbished CRT projectors. To cut a long story short I am looking into buying a second hand CRT projector for a 'more or less' dedicated cinema room. :)

I've noticed that CRTs are to put it bluntly 'big buggers' weighing anything up to 150kg ish. What I'm wondering is how you go about ceiling mounting one of these hulking beasts. To be honest with you I would probably pay a pro to do it but I am somewhat concerned about pulling the ceiling down!

How many joists do people normally attach their projectors to? And how can you tell if your ceiling could support that sort of weight?

:D

Thanks,

Nick

2. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mine is attached to a plate which is spanned across 2 joists. They are loft joists as well which are usually weaker than living room ceiling joists as they are further apart. Mine is a Barco 808 which weights about 60 kilo I think. It is not that much really. The analogy would be how muh will a fully ladened wardrobe weigh which is probably stood on two joists, What does a double bed with two fat people on it weigh? The pressure on the points were the legs touch the floor must be very large.

Your ceiling is obviously your bedroom floor if you live in a two story house and will be designed to take massive pressures. Dont try and hang it from the plasterboard though ;)

Darren

3. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply :)

The ceiling this projector will be attached to also consists of loft joists [it is an upstairs room]. However the loft above has been converted to a room. Is this likely to make any difference?

I can always shift some of the heavier furniture out of the room ;)

:confused:

Nick

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nick

I've installed over one a week this year, next week I'm doing one a day and to my knowlege they are all still up there.

Genrally speaking it is sufficient to span three joists bareing in mind the main weight is towards the front of the projector.

All the mechanics need to be up to the job and you need to be convinced when your sitting underneith that it will not fall in your loved ones lap.

Finding a replacement projector can be difficult finding a replacement wife can be even harder:devil:

5. Sorcery

Sorcery
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roland,

"All the mechanics need to be up to the job and you need to be convinced when your sitting underneith that it will not fall in your loved ones lap. "

Well I was probably planning on buying one of your refurbished CRTs sometime in the new year and probably aiming to pay you to fit it. So I would hope that the above is the case :D

As a matter of interest, how long on average does it generally take to actually fit the projector [not including convergence of the projector etc.] and do you have to pull up the floorboards etc. on the floor above?

Thanks,

Nick

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Note to self "buy more 6" nails and bluetack in the new year:p"

Genrally the install can be completed in a long day. 10am to 7pm ish (can you do it while she's out is a comon request).
    Just doing the physical varries enormously but about 3-4hrs

Experience has shown that a projector takes a few days to settle into its new home, so I prefer to come back once it has become part of the family to tweek and get the very last bit out of it.

Provided the joists are in good shape it's normally possible to coach bolt into them without disturbing the room above. However hiding video and power cables is easier with the floor up.
    Each install is differnt.

7. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Roland attached my 808s to the joists with coach bolts and not only did he swing off the mounting bracket to show mw it could take a full grown man's weight (Roland aint small, not wide but tall!!) but once the 808 was on the ceiling he swung off that as well :eek:

Steve

8. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    "Finding a replacement projector can be difficult finding a replacement wife can be even harder"

Are you sure you have this the right way around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.