1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Projector/dedicated HC room Questions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Badger, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pretty simple questions really, I'm getting some plans drawn up for an extension that will house a dedicated HC, not decided between LCD/DLP/CRT yet (will decide when it's built) but want to plan for the trickiest case (CRT)

1. The Room will be about 7 1/2 ft by 14 ft internally - What Barco models would match this size (7ft wide screen), as far as I can tell the main options would be 708,801 and possible 808 or are some of these just too big

2. The roof will have 2 skylights along the length of the room, now these could intefere with the projector placement - how long are the models (roughly) and how much space do they require behind them for cooling ?

3. I see the 1.5 throw rule being used to determine distance from the screen - I realize this is a rule of thumb but is the screen size solely governed by the distance between projector and screen

Thanks in advance

Phil

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Phil.. I can specifically fill you in on the 801s:

1. Ok so, I have an 801s and a 7ft wide screen. My room is admittedly about 20ft long by 10ft wide, but I think you could squeeze an 801 in there. Depends if you are gonna do a ceiling or floor mount.

2. The 801 is about 80cm long and exhausts heat from the front.. you would need at least 10cm of clearance at the back for the intake of cool air.

3. In the case of the 801, (someone correct me if im wrong), but mostly yes. You can alter the width of the image on the tube face, but you wouldnt want to go mad with it as you would either use too much or too little of the phosphor. Using too much is fatal to the tube and using too little will cause premature burn.

Chris

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 1.5 is law :lesson:
    Don't try to change it further or closer will cause the crt projector damage. (use the lens program or give your exact requirements here and some one will work them out.)

Basically for a 7ft wide (2130mm) Image the back of the projectors and 100cm for ventilation / cover opening will be as follows.

700/701/708/Cine7 =3630mm
    800/801/s = 3920mm
    808/s/Cine8 = 4011mm
    1208/s = 4056mm
    1200/1209/s = 4128mm

So looks like distance won't be a problem

All but the 801 exhast out the back so extra ventilation should be considered to keep noise down.

4. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the comments so far

I've grabbed the Lens Program and thats helping, my only question about it is that the angle is set to 10.5 degrees, is this the angle I should aim for for optimum performance or just a general value ?

How much back ventilation space is required to make a difference (1ft,2ft ?)

Phil

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    1 ft is good 2ft would be better. 4inches is minimum.

10.5 is the standard angle the tubes are fitted in the projector. It is set like that so that an 8ft 4x3 image (standard presentation screen) is 4" down from the base of a ceiling mounted projector.

Try not to make it too much more than 10.5 or you will have excesive keystone.