Crt - Please Help

B

BIG H

I have been given the task of buying a TV for my 95 year old Gran !
Her eyesight/hearing is poor so a good sharp picture and sound is a must. I am looking at 32 inch sets as this is the about the biggest that will fit in her front room. Not to worried about built in freeview but would be a bonus I guess although she does not have a digital aerial. Have looked at the Samsung WS32Z409TQX like the slim line look which would provide some space saving but having read some reviews on this set am now unsure. She has approx £500 to spend. Any advise you guys could offer would be much appreciated as the more I look the more of a mine field I seem to be uncovering. Thanks in advance.

JVC is a good brand if you want a decent CRT with nicam etc get tvs like the JVC from Argos. Tescos and Asda sell 28 inch nicam CRTs for £170.

As for HD CRTs all the samsungs i saw had rectangle pixels on them and to me looked awful next to HD plasmas

You can get a decent-ish HD ready 32 inch LCD, with a 32 inch screen from a decent brands like Samsung, Panasonic, JVC etc you should be ok but the best thing to do is to go to Comet etc with your gran or father and see which ones look great to you as you'll be living with it, what may look great to me, may look kak to your gran.

CRTs are thin on the ground and most are made cheaply (and it shows) in Turkey (this includes JVC, jetinder). LCDs are still terrible as far as I can tell, with latency being the killer. I would go for damage limitation if I was in the market right now, or I would consider used from eBay, a risk you may not want to take with your Gran.

WRT digital aerial, the analogue aerial is the same thing, provided that it gets a good signal; have a look for the Freeview checkers on the Internet. I don't know if a digital telly will show analogue broadcasts; check your area as I said and check the TV before you buy.

Good luck!

Good luck finding a decent, well made CRT. I had to go for an LCD in the end, so thought that I might as well go for a 37inch to get some benefit from it.

Try used from this forum rather than e bay.

A good quality 5 year old crt that is in good condition should cost between £200 and £300.

CRT was pretty much a mature technology 5 years ago and as far as you gran is concerned will have everything she wants, unless she wants HD from an X Box!

Regards

Chris

Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions. No Chris my Gran not an x box kind of girl she's more into her PSP !:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom