CRT picture distortion

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Fluffy-Bunny, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

Ive had my TV (24" Sony Widescreen) for a while (since 1998) and are using RGB scart connection from my DVD player into the TV.

However I have noticed this from day 1 of using my current setup, if you get really close to the screen and look at say, titles of a film for example, you see what I can only describe as wobbly edges, or jagged edges to the image.
    This problem is only really noticeable when really close to the screen, during normal viewing you can't really notice it, but you can see it on opening / end titles from my viewing position.

I have made a quick mock-up in photoshop to try to explain what it is I am seeing. (below)

Is this normal for a start, or is it some kind of interference?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Looks like you are viewing a composite signal - I have exactly the same scenario on my Sony KV32CS70 - but when viewing through the correct rgb socket the shimmering on the text disappears...

3. skap7309

skap7309
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Had the same problem watching sky digital, then figured out the box wasnt set to RGB. :oops: Simple cure, have you checked this?

4. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies guys,

The DVD player (Sony 735) is set to output RGB, and it is in SCART 1 on the back of the TV and is displaying a crisp RGB signal, not a washy, fuzzy composite SCART signal, its just that I can still see these little lines that "flick" when on text.

I wonder if using a better SCART lead might help? At the moment im just using a standard one that came with my VCR.

5. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Could be a dodgy scart all right. Buy a higher quality one but I wouldn't get carried away. I bought decent ones from www.leadsdirect.co.uk (for less than £10). Good quality really thick. Also I bought a great Hitachi brand Scart for £12.99. (All Gold Plated)