1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT owners who have converted from LCD/DLP - Views please?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, May 16, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Are there any CRT owners here who have recently converted from a fairly recent LCD or DLP pj. Most people on this forum probably know that I had a Barco 701s which was quite dim and gave poor detail so I sold it and switched to a TW100. Apart from the smoothness of image it was a huge improvement but after going back to Epson for a noisy fan I received a full refund from Epson so am in the pj market again considering spending up to about £4k.

My question really is based around my previous experience with my 701 as I do not know whether it was just a bad one.

For anyone who has converted can you please give me your honest opinion as to pros and cons of switching. Have you found it a big improivement or just a subtle one. Have you felt it worth the move or do you miss the brightness of your old digital pj?

All responses gratefully received as pj choosing and wondering whether I should jump back to CRT or stick with LCD/DLP is doing my head in :)

Thanks all.

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Messiah... you certainly have had problems..

I demoed the TW100 and really liked it... it was the top of my list until I considered DLP.. budget then grew to £5.5k.

I demoed the new Runco CLD500 DLP, colour was great, but the rainbows really bothered me and there was also scaling problems on fast panning.. budget then went up to £8k - Sim2? too expensive... reconsider...

Previously I was fortunate enough to go along to Gordons first event in Glasgow, where the Barco Cine 7 just blew me away...albeit on 2k worth of Stewart screen, Tag dvd, Snell processor etc etc.... lots of money.. what could I acheive for 3-5k???

I then contacted one of the CRT guys on this forum, (cheers Alan) who owns a Nec 9PG, hooked up to a HTPC with powerstrip etc... Zoom player etc etc..

The biggest differences were the 3d nature of the picture, no motion issues and bucket loads of detail... especially running 1280x720 etc...

I then went on to buy a Barco 808Data, running on a 6ft screen.. the image is fantastic... Even my partner has got used to having an upside down car bolted to the lounge ceiling...

They do need to be professionally setup.. but I would not change mine for a DLP costings twice or three times as much... Try to see an esablished projector in your area, then hook up with one professionals to get it setup...

Good luck.
    Paul.:suicide:

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Paul

Really appreciate your reply. It's actually a Cine 7 I am contemplating for just under £4k. High hours but replaced tubes and been a Barco demonstrator all its life. How did the Cine 7 you refer to compare with the NEC and 808 you now have?

Thanks again.

Neil

4. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Messiah
    I actually converted over to CRT 18 months ago, I had a SOny HS1 (the first one they bought out for under 2k,

It was a nice projector very quite as far as lcd go,but i was sitting 10 feet away from the picture, i could see the all the pixels,and within 1 month i had 3 dead pixels, and over 12 with muck on them (the green smudge you get)
    I took it back to 7okes sound and vision and they got down the toshiba mt3 the black levels were alot better, but there 5 red dots on the screen where pixels had dropped out.

So i was peed off with that, i took my hs1 back and sold it on ebay, i then had a look at the SIM2000, again the picture was bright (no need for a dim room) colours were there etc, but i could still see the pixels, and when i moved my head sideways quickly the rainbow effect was apparent, they also were showing it through a scaler which was a bit decieving.
    So in the end i look at the Barco, and Seleco, they were great projectors but the size going from a lcd to a crt was just too much. i then found a company screens uk, a friend of mine had an ellie 2000ht, i went over and looked at it, i looked at it thouraghly more than i would in a showroom, what impressed me was the contrast ratio, the black levels, and of course no pixels whatsover, so i decided to go for one of them, my ideal crt would be the BARCO CINI 9 OR 12, (ONE WITH 12"" LENSES) but hey i can dream.

i WOULD NOT GO BACK TO DLP OR LCD for a while, they are getting there but they still have some road to go.
    I have just bought a new 9 foot motorised screen with motorised masking, Screens uk are doing them at the moment, what i like with this is you can manually and electronically make the screen the same width as the picture, it looks so cinematic.

hope that has answerd your questions.

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Messiah, which end of the country are you? I'd say seeing one or two would help you decide.

regards,
    Rob.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Rob

Cardiff. I am popping along to Roland's tomorrow evening to see a few. Just to clarify my position, I had a Barco 701s whic was quite poor due to be not at all punchy and lack of detail hence I went back to digital. That one was faulty and the mfr refunded 100% of the purchase cost despite being 7 months old.

So, having a dedicated room I was going to go for a DLP such a the MT8 but felt I have to give CRT another go.

My choices now are between a Cine7LT (new) and a Sony G70 (2nd hand). I'm leaning towards the latter due to image quality and need not to upade later.

All help, advice and offers of demos very much appreciated :)

7. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Neil,

Sorry for not getting back to you.. been hectic..

Gordon's Cine 7 demo at Stereo Stereo was using a very expensive screen and with some special equipment.. TAG etc..

What it did for me, was highlight the huge difference between LCD/DLP and a well setup CRT.. A set me of on a path to recreate it, without blowing next years salary..

My 808Data was 4.5k delivered and installed with <3k hours and reconditioned tubes... so your money is certainly in the ballpark..

I have seen a non-pro install of an 801 on a poor screen and it did not impress. My install has a 1.0 Owl screen which saps the life out of the picture (a little bit). So a good 1.3 or slightly less gain screen would make all the difference..

PM me if you want to discuss vendors etc.. Any of the main installers will get the projector install right and leave you with the skills required to tweak convergance etc... I recommend that their skills/experience and importanance of getting the CRT setup correctly should not be under estimated..

Good luck

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Paublo

I have an Owl 1.3 gain 8ft horiz screen. I am just desperate to fiond someone who will recommend the right model at the right price and do an install for me ASAP (I am projectorless at the moment and it is killing me :( )

Whoever that is gets my money. I am limited by throw due to ceiling space (147" max to back of pj) and was due to have a Cine7LT installed yesterday but unforytunately due to e-mail problems it all went awry.

I now wonder whether a Cine7LT will give me the quality I want or whether I need to reconsider to a Cine7 or something else like a G70. (all throw distance dependant of course).

The first person with the right pj who can install quickly gets my monies...but that's proving difficult at the moment getting it all to fall into place.

Thanks again

Neil

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Just to add the Cine7 dem at The Event didn't feature any external video processing. All was done by the Cine7 with and without it's onboard processor.

It was fed by a TAG DVD32r and shone at a 100" diagonal Stewart Luxus Delux Screenwall with Studiotek 130 material.

It was also at something like a 0 degree projection angle which helps a bit......but is NOT practical in any normal installation.

Having installed an MT8 on Monday and Tuesday last week (Firehawk screen) then gone to London and seen 2 x 9" CRT's and an 8" one I desperately want to get my extension built to house a CRT....The MT8 was lovely but the CRT's were pretty amazing. (They were all in completely light controlled rooms...and the best had light absorbing (or non reflective) wall coverings.

Gordon

If you're wondering they were.
    G70, NEC10PG, 1209s

Gordon

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Gordon. The MT8 was my choice of the digitals. Did the one you install have any of the inherent problems, particulary barrel distortion.

How would you honestly say the MT8 image compared to a Cine7 or other 7" CRT. The reason I ask is that due to my throw distance limitations it looks as though a 7" CRT is all I could fit in to fill my screen.

Many thanks. Appreciated.

11. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So that would be Eric, then Elliot, then Jeff?:cool:

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Not me. Gordon keeps saying hes going to visit but never does. :(

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Close..It was Jeff's new tubes in A 1209 at Rolands.....I actually also saw an 808 and a Cine7LT but I didn't want folk to think I just spend all day looking at CRT pj's....that's Rolands job!

Jeff I will come...honest....

Messiah: Yes it had barrel distortion. I think very carefull installationcan minimise this. I made client aware of it before he purchased.

With CRT, well set up, you don't see picture structure. You can sit close to large screens without seeing how the display works or artifacts. It has a fluid, 3D look I have not seen on fixed pixel devices.

Gordom

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I keep hearing these voices saying "Build it and they will come" , What were 'they' expecting? I could hardly build a Basball field in a converted single garage. :confused:

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Changed your name? Is that Gordom Frasier? :D