1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT or Plasma for family

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by groove, Oct 12, 2003.

1. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Im looking for some honest advice.....i cant seem to make my mind up , changing it almost daily.

Im looking to replace my rented 32" Phillips WS tv with, errr my own.

THe current TV's use is as follows -

weekdays approx 8 hours of TV viewing a day, some on anologue TV most through standard sky installation.
    Also up to 3 hours of late night XBOX gaming :)

Weekends - up to 14 hours of TV viewing a day, same mix as weekdays, with the odd DVD watched and again up to 4 hours of late night XBOX gaming :)

Im no audiophile, my DVD is not the best , although my seperates DTS surround amp and speakers are nice. I probably waont see many of these artifacts and stuff people complain about , and if i do i wnot be bothered by them.
    My current Philips has this PP+ stuff, and yes the football does look quite poor sometimes but im used to it and it really doesnt bother me now that much.

So what im really trying to say is Ive got about £3000 to spend.....will a Plasma be suitable for our family lifestyle ?? Cartoons for my little girl , normal everyday tv viewing and fairly heavt xbox gaming ?
    Or should I stick with CRT and gor for a good 36" model from the likes of Sony ??
    Ive looked at a few 42" plasmas around this price and really like the look of them , but im not sure if they are up to the demands we would put on them ??

Ive also read a lot on here about poorer quality than CRT on these low end PLasmas....which again puts me off a little.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Andy

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A plasma could fit your lifestyle, no problems. You could have a PW6 panasonic with that budget, that's not low end at all. Reasonable care over screen burn is all that's required, but if the logos are burning your screen, the cartoons are doing worse to the child's brain, so no worries!

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    As posted either would fit into what you require but the question is do you want to spend an extra £1000 for 12 inches of extra screen diagonal.

Its seems to me from your post that so long as you get a nice image your not that bothered about the finer points of the hardware (some on here are the exact opposite). My advice is just get another TV and if you want a shot at bigger images for your movies and games a cheap projector as well. I’d bet this route would still save you money over a plasma.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    My vote would be to go for a top-quality 36" CRT such as the new Panasonic or Toshiba models.

It will be much more child/family friendly and be much easier to setup.

You will also have not worries about the kids using it and no worries about screen-burn either.

And the best bit is you will have over a grand left which could go towards a nice holiday of something.

The main downer is that it will still ake up a lot of room whereas the plasma could be mounted on a wall freeing up valuable space.

Anyway, just my 2p's worth.

Cheers, Lee

6. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    THanks for the reply's guys. And sorry for cross posting , i just wanted to get opinions from both sides of the fence so to speak.

Im still not 100% convinced yet......I went into John Lewis in Bluewater today to have a look around. They had the 36" Sony FS76 CRT which is a nice set with nice features and seems to get some good opinions on here. It was up for £1499 and Im sure it said included a sony VCR and DVD player .....? Not totally convinced by the styling of it though...looks a little dated imo , but after renting a 32" PP+ Phillips for 18months i dont really want another Phillips set.

Also had a look at the plasmas and narrowed it down to two possibles the Panasonic PW6 at £3995 and the Hitachi 42PD3000 at £3495. Although i understand from reading on here they will price match other JL stores so the Hitachi should be available for £3000....although they have no stock in any JL stores at the moment .

One thing i wasnt sure about is when the girl said that when the gas runs out that will be the end of the TV.full stop. But this is covered by their 5 year warranty. Is this right....does the gas just run out ? Ive heard differing reports on this and wasnt in a position to argue with her !

With reference to the screen burn what sort of time scale are we talking before any long term damage is done ? Hours or days ?
    Would say a 4 - 6 hour long xbox session with the same game, and same on screen displays be enough to do it ??

and I hear you guys about sticking to the CRT route....its the old situation that head says one thing and heart says another....

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Is this it HERE ;)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I should have thought the old chestnut about the gas running out would have been covered in staff training! Wot a larff. Your average plasma display has a 1/2 life of 35000 hours, ie 1/2 as bright 1/2 the contrast. Do the maths, it's a long time. Do a search for screen burn, there are mixed reports, 2 recent issues onthe hitachi. They are all delivered with unreal contrast settings, turn it down to reduce risk, it seems a feeling, no more, that the panasonic may be more resistant, at least it's not been reported as an issue with them here. £3995 is 25% too much btw.

9. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :laugh: :laugh:

No screen burn here either :smashin:

Glad I went plasma route & would never have got a TV with as much visual impact in my place without scarficing a huge amount of floor space.

10. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The only time gas will run out of a plasma is if your drunk uncle from the sticks falls through it. :nono:

11. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with MAW. Pls also read my reply in 'wots the best tv'.

12. groove

groove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Ok made my decision , Ive gone for the Sony FS76 36" CRT. It will br here on Tuesday.....the same day as im having Sky Plus installed....just hope the TV turns up before the Sky guys :)

What really swayed it in the end though was the robustness of a CRT. Suddenly remembered how many times toys have been launched and bounced of the screen of the current Philips and decided the Plasma just may not appreciate that as much as a CRT will. Couldnt bear the thought of seeing the screen dmaged or topple over.......

Thanks for all your thoughts guys , it did help me make the decision...just hope it was the correct one.

My heart still yearns for a plasma though...maybe in a couple of yearws one the family is a bit older it will be safer ;)

Thanks again.