1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT or not to CRT !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Spacecat, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    Like most PJ owners i have considered going the CRT route,
    however the size of the things and the weight have put me off having one over my head!! . I also have a 12 foot wall to wall space to put the thing in.

Is it possible to mount a CRT like an LCD or DLp projector on a bracket above the sitting position ?

I was considering making a hole in the wall (like a hatch) and then mounting a CRT in the Hatch so it is half in the room with the back end outside (boxed off ).
    IS this Feasible??

I dont fancy having a huge thing that weighs 55+kilos bolted above my head!!

How much would a reasonable 2nd hand CRT cost? that is relatively small, i would quite like one to play with to see
    what kind of image i could get,
    I have a budget of about £1000 to do this.

If i did ceiling mount what size image could i get in a room with 12 foot between walls?

Thanks

2. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just changed over from a Sony LCD to a Seleco CRT and while the Seleco is much bigger than the Sony, it doesn't have to be enormous. I think that only spending £1k is a little limiting in the CRT arena. It'll only cover a cheap Barco, NEC or Sony which I beliveve are all quite hefty. You might be able to get a Seleco SVP350 for that, which is a good bit lighter (if that's a worry), but is likely to have been used in a pub or club, so you need to look for tube burn. Roland & Gordon should be able to give you advice on the Barcos eta al, & Chris Frost is the man for Selecos.

In terms of image size a rough rule of thumb seems to be screen width should be 75% of it's distance from the projector, so I guess that's about 8ft.

Can't help you with the in wall stuff. Apologies in advance for any FUBARs in my response. The CRT Brains Trust will advise of those.

IMHO a decent 2nd hand CRT is a no brainer compared to a similarly priced LCD.

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    I was thinking of about £1000 to buy 2nd hand projector to 'play with'!
    but about £2000 to buy one and get it installed and coverged

would that be attainable? for £2000

4. Magic

Magic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought a Seleco SVP400+ to play with. It became apparent that while significantly better than my LCD, it still left a bit to be desired. It's internal line doubler was handy, but an iScan Pro deinterlacer showed how much I was missing. I've decided to go for a new Seleco SDG700 from Owl (like a couple of other CRT members) as it's such good value (brand new for £2350), but the downside being to get the best out of it there's £1.5k for a Centerstage scaler.

It's acknowledged that CRTs require a professional install to get the best out of them. I've managed a decent image with it on top of my coffee table, but faced with the cost of a professional install I plumped the bigger, heavier new unit. Be careful what you get for <£1k, as cheap Barcos I've seen have a large price variance, and several people here have complained of being sold a lemon. Roland, Chris & Gordon can help on install costs, but £2k should be sufficient (Just over £1k with one of Roland's cheaper models perhaps)

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    thats what i was thinking a good 2nd hand unit and a professional install for £2000.

Would an HTPC be able to take the place of the iscan pro deinterlacer?, i currently run my set up (a TOSH MT1 ) through a HTPC.

Would a set up ;like this be able to blow away any LCd projector?

6. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I intend to use a Home Cinema PC on my setup too. Providing it's of a reasonable spec it'll be at home on a CRT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.